Diving Waldo Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Walts wall" this SCREAMS arrogance. It is a wall that I'm sure Walt himself did not build. The dive site is a descent structure in the lake, and if you follow it around to the south and beyond you will run into another mass of rocks. Maybe I'll call that "Joe's rocks" no, I don't think I'm all that. There is also another shop in Redmond, Oregon, Central Oregon Tech Divers.
If you PM me I may be interested in diving with you. The trek into the site COD has graciously called WALT'S wall is a pretty good hike, with the possibility of downed trees and even without, is a good 500 yards or so.
Joe

Hi Paul,

I am so sorry I was not aware of your interest in Waldo Lake diving. Apparently someone directed you to my website, but I did not hear from you.

We just spent a wonderful Saturday diving Waldo (8/16/08) with just a group of friends and a couple of Altitude Specialty students. Waldo was its usual magnificent self -- excellent clarity and like glass in the morning.

On Sunday, nine of us hiked our gear into Crater Lake and did a great dive there. Nice group of people and wonderful comraderie upon completion of the hike out!

Please feel welcome to contact me if you are back in the area and interested in diving Waldo Lake. It is a very special place to me (I first dived it in 1969) and it often takes very little prodding to get me to drop everything and head up there.

You may contact me at wbolton@codiving.com or my website Home :: Central Oregon Diving.

Trust the Force,
Walt

Hi Again Paul,

I just read the post from Joe. Gee, I really didn't name the wall, or build it. I just happened to have dived it a number of times, knew where it was, and shared it with any diver who was interested -- It wasn't me to attached my name to it, it was just something my friends did, and I just humorously left it tacked on. It is kind of a joke amongst us. I am certain there are many other divers who have dived it too and they probably have their pet names too. I really hope no one really thought I was trying to claim something.

There is also another "wall" to the north of the one described on the website, a little deeper. I am not a technical diver nor a "deep" diver, but I have heard reports of a vertical wall off Klovdahl Bay at about 250 feet. Considering the geological formation, it makes sense, but I probably will never see it. I am sure Joe has dived it, and if you are a technical diver, he could probably get you down there. I am very happy having fun just diving around an old freind with new friends.

Also, we cut the downed trees out of the trail with a crosscut saw so the trail is clear. I have never measured it, but I would guess it is about 150 to 200 yds to the point described on the website. -- we use hand trucks (some people call them dollys) to take our gear down. When someone forgets something back at the vehicles, I generally just walk back up the trail with my drysuit on, get whatever they need and bring it back down -- not a big deal. It is a walk in the park compared to Crater Lake -- and if you get enough mosquitos latched onto you and get them pointed the same direction, you can almost fly up the trail!

Oh, by the way, I wish I had heard from you -- looking at my calendar, I believe we were diving Waldo on Saturday the 9th of August too. Dang! I may be doing Crater Lake again this summer, so let me know if you are going to be around if interested. It is a rigorous hike, but if you plan your equipment configuration right, you can get your pack weight down to about 80 to 85 lbs.

Another nice dive from the Sunriver area is Paulina Lake. A little higher elevation, not quite as clear, but some huge landlocked salmon and hot water vents! Very easy shore access.

Walt

Hi Again Paul,

Gee, I really didn't name the wall, or build it. I just happened to have dived it a number of times, knew where it was, and shared it with any diver who was interested -- It wasn't me to attached my name to it, it was just something my friends did, and I just humorously left it tacked on. It is kind of a joke amongst us. I am certain there are many other divers who have dived it too and they probably have their pet names too. I really hope no one really thought I was trying to claim something.

Walt

From What I've heard from numerous people, this statement is FALSE. Seems as if he had found the site early on in his diving, and since he found it, he named after himself. (alot like a star or something) I mean that's cool and all, but not sure it is really warranted. Seems that the indians had the right thinking, " how can man own the lands? " They had it right! It's the white man that messed it all up:no

Walt at the shop (Central Or Diving) is doing a Crater Lake dive but not until the 17th of Aug. He's done both dive areas a lot and would have great information for you. You could maybe add some kind of 7mm rental wetsuit gear to complete that layered look? Have some great dives. // ww

WALT IS AN ARROGANT PRICK!!!!!!! Walt's wall? seems a bit, well, I think I said it at the beginning of the post.

Things I can definitely verify regarding Waldo - It is VERY clear (100+ Vis)

- It is cold 48 degrees

- It is pretty bare...Not much to see. Fun dive just because!

Back
Top Bottom