Diving Vs Eperience Vs your Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info Wristshot. Sounds like Palancar might be a good place to go. I want to have a posative diving experience more so for my wife then for myself. However, I would like her to challange herself as well. With five days of diving I am sure she will start to get tired of the same ol, same ol dives. Which is why I want to make sure that the dive is enjoyable and that is is easy yet stimulating and challanging. If that makes sense...

As for the spa treatments...It is already calculated in the budget. I had to give up 500.00 for the spa in order get the most diving possible. Food, Spa, good hotel with Jet Tub in room (requirement for Wife... :mean: ) all things I am arranging in order to make it a positive dive experience. Good diving and a good time should make for a return trip.

Next time...$15 per night hotel, bag lunches and living IN the water. This time, pamper pamper until the diving is loved!!!

Trickery at its best.

Anyway, Thanks for the information.

Where is the best Mexican food on the Island?

USMC DIVER

ronrosa once bubbled...
Would you wife mind if you did a few dives without her?

No problem, as long as she is still sleeping or in a spa getting rubbed down with oil and other stuff.

That would be the perfect time for you to experience the more advanced dives. How about sneaking in a night dive ?

Fully plan on hitting some night dives and some dives which take some extra skill

It is very tricky to balance advanced dives and diver skill. I don't mind having a dive buddy I don't know, but I am not to sure I want my wife to dive in a foreign country, in unfamiliar water, with another NEW diver, simply because thier diving skills are similiar. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Maybe not. I will have to play a lot of it by ear when I get there and see what kind of a learning curve she is operating at. She is a quick learner.

USMC DIVER

Why not just ask her and follow her lead. From what I know about newer divers they generally have a better experience when they are in control of the challenge level. I'm sure that after a couple of easy check-out dives she will push for a bigger challenge. IMHO Palancar Gardens is the perfect place to start in Cozumel. Its the one dive spot that I make sure to hit every time I'm there.

USMC Diver once bubbled...
What is the average experience level of divers in Cozumel? I don't want to be the one (or my wife for that matter) keeping other, more experienced, divers at the basic level.

You will find divers of all skill levels happily coexisting in the waters around Cozumel, from rank novices with 2 hours of shoreside training (though I don't recommend that) to crusty vets who go off solo on their 200'+ dives. Most divers fall somewhere in the middle of that range.

Make sure your dive op gets a realistic picture of your skills level before you get on a boat. Most will take measures to ensure that you're not a novice on a boat headed for Punta Sur or Barracuda.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Why not just ask her and follow her lead. From what I know about newer divers they generally have a better experience when they are in control of the challenge level. I'm sure that after a couple of easy check-out dives she will push for a bigger challenge. IMHO Palancar Gardens is the perfect place to start in Cozumel. Its the one dive spot that I make sure to hit every time I'm there.

Thanks for the recommendation. I guess I didn't think of it that way. Diving for as long as I have I guess it is second nature to somewhat take over the dive planning. Good Gouge. Let her pick the level of Diving and everyone is comfortable. Thanks.

USMC Diver,

I think you have the right idea---Let her set the pace. You will enjoy it whatever the pace. Look, the visibility is fantastic, the scenery even better and all you have to do is go with the flow (current) which is usually mild. As mentioned earlier, the people you say you are diving with are great. They will establish the general drift depth and point out all the neat stuff. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!! Then go eat at a small place called La Choza. Not a tourist trap, great food and not expensive. Have fun, ya'll.

Back
Top Bottom