Diving Venice from an Inflatable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all of them are RIBs.

My Zodiac has an inflatable keel, marine plywood floorslats, and I do, infact, pump it up by foot. Its not made from some cheap material though.

What differentiates a RIB from a boat like yours or is yours a RIB? From my time in the Navy, I guess I just classify any Zodiac type boat as a RIB. You wouldn't normally deflate it, just pull it around on a small trailer, right?

The one I am looking at has the plywood floor and the rigid motor mount. I only have a little 3 HP Evinrude but I figure for getting just off the beach a bit in Venice it should work just fine. Would you have reservations about leaving an unattended boat in that situation?

Up to you. Just make sure you use a good anchor if you leave it. I don't think anyone will bother it if you have a dive flag out. You'll need the bigger flag (20" x 20", I think) attached to the boat. I tried anchoring my kayak once with the folding fluke anchor that I had and I ended up chasing it quite a ways when the anchor folded up and began skipping across the sand.

It probably wouldn't be much worse than pulling a kayak along, which is what I do now. A plus is that you always surface right where it is, like dkramer said. One thing I've done is put a 5 foot length of bungie cord (buy it by the foot at ACE) in the anchor line because it will jerk you around a bit when the wind and the waves pick up.

What differentiates a RIB from a boat like yours or is yours a RIB? From my time in the Navy, I guess I just classify any Zodiac type boat as a RIB. You wouldn't normally deflate it, just pull it around on a small trailer, right?

It doesn't have a rigid hull.

I deflate it, roll it up, toss it in(or on) my car, everything else gets piled inside as well. I don't use a trailer.

My plan may have hit a snag anyway. I was ready to do the deal and unfortunatley the guy selling it does not have the title or any proof of ownership whatsoever. The boat has never been registered and the tax collector is telling me that without a title or a receipt of some sort there is no way to register this boat and the way the law reads, it looks like it would have to be registered if I have a motor on it. I would hate to have to spend my time underwater wondering if "the man" was waiting for me when I popped up to write me a ticket.

If it has a motor, it has to be registered.

My plan may have hit a snag anyway. I was ready to do the deal and unfortunatley the guy selling it does not have the title or any proof of ownership whatsoever. The boat has never been registered and the tax collector is telling me that without a title or a receipt of some sort there is no way to register this boat and the way the law reads, it looks like it would have to be registered if I have a motor on it. I would hate to have to spend my time underwater wondering if "the man" was waiting for me when I popped up to write me a ticket.

Man, that sucks!

Time to buy a yak!:D

No worries about gas or whether your motor will start after a dive. And think of all the upper body exercise you'll get.

Honestly, I think it is a lot easier to get back into a yak than into an inflatable.

I've done both and the inflatable was truly difficult. You may wish to try it for yourself before you buy one as your mileage may differ. :)

Does it have a motor? If it doesn't but can take one, its easy enough. You get it inspected by the USCG and take that to the tax collector. Look up how to get a FL boat title on Google.

I've done both and the inflatable was truly difficult. You may wish to try it for yourself before you buy one as your mileage may differ. :)

I've always found it extremely easy to get back on an inflatable. Just keep your fins on and kick while pulling yourself over. Size has alot to do with things, the really big inflatables are a bit more difficult, but this isn't what we're talking about.

If you can pull yourself over the side of a pool with fins, you can pull yourself over an inflatable of that size.

Inflatables are hella stable too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom