Diving Too Deep....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you think the chances are that they keep oxygen on board? 0%!

I can't believe when one of their crew gets bent they just finish the rest of the week long trip before bringing them in.

Wow definitely is the word.

Peter,

Makes you realize some undertanding of the have and the have nots. A little education can go a long way.

These divers are doing up to 15 dives in a day, shallow or not, that is too many. They don't have a depth gauge, watch nor a simple SPG.

My guess is they start to feel the tank go bouyant and then difficulty breathing, then they start their ascent.

In the case of OOG at 130 feet, and bolting to the top instead of drowning, questionable what they are thinking, again having little knowlege of the long term affects of surviving the bends.

They must be aware that it is dangerous because their town is showing crippled divers with similar stories, then why do they do it?

It goes back to the have and have nots, the divers that can continue to make a small bounty will continue while other divers cannot because of disability.

If the supply is there, the poverty diver will risk his life to make the catch.

I feel if they are educated about the dangers in a real classroom setting and given donated equipment, it will bring a safer margin to the liability they are taking.

We have to start somewhere, it's painful to see the diver come out of a chamber ride, and still be in so much pain. You can't help but feel sorry for what they go through.

Peter, I was amazed when in the video the reporter is talking to the guy on the small canoe, the guy who collects the lobsters, she is talking to him about how many they have caught so far, and he explains it's bad luck to count them until the end.

All of a sudden you hear the divers tank start to make a whinning sound on his back, they say, well it's just a faulty tank.

I would not want to be near a compressed cylinder that is making that sound, and he has it strapped to his back, no problem, continues diving it.

They never spoke about hydro's or visuals, I wonder how many or their tanks fail hydros but are still being used for one mans gain and anothers demise?

That assumes those tanks have been hydro'd even once since they got their hands on them. Somehow, I doubt anything they have is serviced unless it completely jams up and won't provide air.

Wow, a truly eye opening video. I wonder if donated SPGs would even be used or if the extra equipment would just be seen as a waste of boat space or met with disinterest? Watching that gave me a terrible, helpless feeling.

Interesting.....video can only be streamed within the US.

:depressed:

If this is not the same video as linked above, I will ask that a MOD delete the post. Otherwise, here it is for all non-USA residents to watch.

This really blows now,maybe im not meant to see this video

"This video contains content from Current TV LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. "

Seems to me that what they (and the lobsters) really need is some economic development that would provide better jobs than lobster diving.

Seems to me that what they (and the lobsters) really need is some economic development that would provide better jobs than lobster diving.

I do not think that they could really just remove those jobs (realistically that is). If these people found the better jobs you speak of then someone else would be put in the same position as they are right now with the lobster diving. With economic development might come the ability to have a safer work environment. Might come some job security that would enable them to demand safer work. The reality of it is, if there is a demand for something, it is almost a guarantee that someone somewhere will offer it. We (the Royal "we" that is and not us here on SB :wink:) need to find a way to not put a humans life ahead of a profit.

What we need is some capitalistic American resort to build something there so we can all go diving. The people would work in the resort, lay off the lobster, and everyone would be happy.

Oh, that's right -- no one likes Americans . . . .

What we need is some capitalistic American resort to build something there so we can all go diving. The people would work in the resort, lay off the lobster, and everyone would be happy.

Oh, that's right -- no one likes Americans . . . .

:shakehead:

And they learn nothing. So what happens when our economy busts again? I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't call this a sustainable answer.

I was cruising the Peace Corps website trying to figure out how to suggest a project. The qualifications for the position would be unique: OWSI, bi-lingual, O2 Provider/Instructor.

Education aside, the greatest challenge is going to be getting the processors to agree, then maybe the captains. The Divers just want to work and will do just about anything to work.

Very sad.

Very interesting story. Sobering reminder of the cost in lives for something we can easily order in a restuarant or pick up at the local grocery store . . . not to mention the fact that here in S. FL lobster hunting is a "fun" dive activity. I would be interested in finding out what the pay scale is for these lobster divers. Because of the danger and profit, is it high or because there is simply no other jobs, is it poverty wages?

Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom