Diving today (1/21) and lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the reason I pound repetative training into my sons head (10yr old Jr OW) constantly! I gave him 3 weight belts and plenty of spare weights so he knows that it's OK to drop them if you need to. I also make him practice several skills at the end of almost every dive if he has plenty of air left. He has actually had a power inflator stick on him once and because of the drilling he disconnected the lp hose quickly, dumped the air before getting out of control, and then called the dive showing me the problem. Granted we were only at about 40 ft. in Blue Springs and it may be easier to handle things in that clear, semi-controlled environment but I think he did very well. Training and practice of these skills and it WILL become second nature.

Congrats on keeping your cool and making it back safely. My only question is why did you not think about taking your buddys low pressure hose and hooking it to your inflator and inflating your bc if he had plenty of air left. I would sit your buddy down and give him a good talking. I lsot many good freinds cause as dive buddies they could not be trusted.

victor:
... banana ...
You're gonna end up float checked, Victor :D
Rick

redrover:
I was curious about your training and found the following posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2943
I got my OW through SDI, now merged with SSI. The course was on-line. I could have never found the time to do the classroom course, but could do the online course at my convenience. The course was set up in such a way that you had no choice but to read the material. I wanted to learn, so I did. Of course, subsequently there was hands on in the pool and in the ocean. I still have the book and refer back to it on occasion. Glad it happened this way, because having gotten my certification, I am loving it.l

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2943
I, too, had a problem with my instructor. I finally went back to the shop and they got me a new instructor, who was terrific

I was wondering about your online class and the instructor you had problems with. I question your training; these were part of my class and not what I’ve learned since from experience.
SDI and TDI are "joined at the hip" and neither are associated or affiliated with SSI.
SSI specifically requires successful demonstration of oral inflation of the BC before certification. And of jettisoning weights, and sound air management, for that matter.
Rick

My son is SDI, not sure if they(SDI) specifically require demo of oral inflation or not but his instructor is a friend of mine and HE requires it to pass. This guy teaches SDI, PADI, NAUI, Tech. and everything in between and literally pounds these basic skills into his students brain. If these agencies don't require the basic skills needed, they should. And the instructors should def. know to teach them. If they do not teach those skills then they shouldnt be instructors IMO.

I'm amazed that it took until post #36 for someone to comment that if you were low on air you should have bypassed the safety stop. That's why its called a safety stop and not a deco stop.

And, I'm glad Rick pointed out the bit about bananas on a boat.

ItsBruce:
And, I'm glad Rick pointed out the bit about bananas on a boat.
With apologies to the Queen of Hearts, "That's the most important thing of all!"
Rick :D

I just read through this thread and I'll tell you something very important that is not in the other posts. You are in your 50s. Some of the rules are different in your 50s.

I frequently dive with team mates in their 20s and 30s. Physical conditioning is essential to perform as well as I did without a training program previously. Many of your problems on these dives would have been easier to handle with better conditioning.

Yes - your first buddy left you. Yes - you ran out of air, blah - blah, etc. Real serious problems. These things should tend to work out with a better network, experience, and training. But you will still be in your 50s and you will benefit from a real solid physical training program.

Getting tuckered out swiming in current can be an ugly scenario for a male in his 50s. Improve your edge by hitting the gym - or uping the frequency and intensity.

Jim

Even with "better" conditioning, almost anyone would get worn out swimming against current with no air in the bc and not dropping the weight. I doubt it was the conditioning that was the problem. Surely if he had dropped those weights it wouldnt have been a problem at all. Or manually inflated. I agree that you should be in shape, and yes you don't get as tired as easily. But, in this case as I said, I think the not inflating, dragging weight, lack of experience and current were the problem. Not physical conditioning.

fldiver:

Your profile doesn't state your age, so I don't know whether you see this from an over 50 context. I usually try to read someone's profile to understand their point of view before I disagree with them. Conditioning is a very major issue for older divers and lack of conditioning compounds problems, increases stress and fogs judgement. The DAN reports show a lot of deaths that may or may not be heart attacks - often very difficult to tell. A 56 year old male exhausted from swimming against current and anxious from the dive reads a bit like the preamble to a certain type of accident report.

Has our diver had a recent stress test? While much of the report is cast like a standard inexperienced diver report on this forum you could also read it to suggest that talking this over with one's physician might be in order.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom