Diving The PCH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I am a San Diego area diver. Recently drove PCH north from Santa Monica to Oxnard area. Saw lots of divers in near shore kelp beds between Malibu and Pt Hueneme. Does anyone know about diving there? Also, have heard Refugion Park nr Santa Barbara is a nice place to camp and dive. Any ideas? Thanks, Gary

scubaguy52:
.... .Saw lots of divers in near shore kelp beds between Malibu and Pt Hueneme....

Gary, turn back, there is no diving north of San Diego. Now are you talking about north of Malibu or including Malibu?
This question would be better asked in the SoCAL section under Clubs California Kelp Divers. Drop down and visit us.

North of Malibu I know there is (from Malibu City Limits going North):
1. Nicholas Canyon. Nice easy beach entry with good reef structure in 40 feet of water. Great dive and good stair/trail access to the beach.
2. Leo Carrillo which has lots of diving including areas called Sequit Point (shallow water and lots of reef structure in close) South Leo Carrillo and North Leo Carrillo, both have good kelp and reef structure in 40 feet or less of water.
3. Stair Case at the very end of Leo Carrillo right before the condos. Parking lot on the left at 40000 PCH $2.00. Good trail down with a log ladder for about 6-8 rungs. At the bottom you are greeted with a one of the better reef structures in the area and a great dive in 20 feet of water or so. this site is relatively unknown and one of my favorites.
4. County Line, located right after the condos. Steep hill to get down to the beach, but doable. Good surfing spot and diving too. Lots of reef here.
5. Deer Creek. Stairs down to the beach and a nice dive in less than 40 feet of water. Kelp and reef here and there.
After that that is about all the diving I know about in Ventura until you get into town. I have heard reports from others who have tried the odd spot here and there with out good results.

Now if you are talking about in Malibu, that is a whole new discussion with a bunch of dive sites.

Check http://www.sandeaters.org dive sites for a description and photos of these and other dive sites.

Santa Barabara, I don't know anything about diving up there, except I have heard there are several places where you can get you suit oiled by the water so you have to be carefull of where you dive.

Hello Gary,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

Glad to see you on Scuba Board,scubaguy52 and Welcome! and safe diving. Matt. :monkeydan

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Hey Gary, I'm up in Santa Barbara and I believe you're talking about Refugio State Beach. Its a cool dive and a very nice camp site. Its probably 30 miles north of Santa Barbara on the 101. Malibu has a bunch of cool sites, the locals should have more info, we recently dove and camped at Leo Carrillo which was a lot of fun.

If you ever make it up to SB and need a dive buddy/guide look me up I'd be glad to show you around.
pasley:
Santa Barabara, I don't know anything about diving up there, except I have heard there are several places where you can get you suit oiled by the water so you have to be carefull of where you dive.

There's actually a good dive at Coal Oil Point hehe.. it can get pretty oily depending on the tides and such. Its all natural seepage though, and not all of SB is drenched in oil. So come up and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom