Diving the Outerbanks first week in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregT943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'll be in Hatteras the first week in July. So far I'm only scheduled for one day of diving, hopefully one of the charters will book a group I can join for another few days of diving. Will a full length 3 mm wetsuit be sufficient enough, or will I need something heavier for diving down there? Thanks

3 Mil should be just fine. Be concerned about current and ask how the dive boat is rigged. Study how to ascend and descend using lines if you are not familiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awesome, thanks for the info. Is the viz usually good that time of year, or is it more of a day to day thing? Also I really want to see what outerbanks diving is known for....sharks...and ship wrecks. Are there lots of sharks around that time of year?

Visibility is dependent on recent tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic basin. Also I would guess that any given day there is a 30% chance you are not going because of high sea swells.

That time of year there are huge sand tiger sharks, lots of bait fish, barracuda, and a variety of life.

Again, be thinking current, if you have never been diving in big current. Be familiar and know how deploy a safety sausage. You might want to buy a Nautilus radio. Know the rigging of various decent lines. The captain will give you a good briefing on the rigging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boats around here all use the same "Carolina Rigged" lines with a down line at the stern of the boat to about 20ft then a lead line that takes you to the anchor line which leads you directly to the wreck which will be secured to the wreck by the mate. Please follow and keep in contact with at least 1 hand on the line ALL the way to the bottom. We normally have vis in excess of 80ft so you will see the wreck which will give you a sense of security & even a slight current will cause a large use of your gas to fight it to the site if you make it at all.
Truly the current can be raging or calm (anywhere you go), and the Captain will take this into account with the skill on the boat & go somewhere else if need be.
Go to this site & watch the intro video it will show you line use, Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site

---------- Post added April 29th, 2013 at 08:05 AM ----------

This is 1 of the most requested dive sites, the Proteus & as you will see the sharks tend to hang about. Have seen them so thick that the anchor line will go through the school & you need to nudge your way through them.
The Proteus on Vimeo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom