Diving the Ice Barge off of Virginia Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stacey M.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings:

I'm going to be visiting in Williamsburg and thought it would be a great idea to do a boat dive in Virginia Beach. The day I am able to dive was a dive for the Ice Barge. All I know is that it's about 70'. Can anyone please give the lowdown on this wreck? Currents, temperature, anything special to look for...... I did read one account of someone diving the Ice Barge, but it seemed to be a trainwreck of a day than an account of the Ice Barge (hope that stuff doesn't to me). I'm diving it on no other than Friday the 13th.

Thanks!!!!
Stacey M.

Stacey,

The Ice Barge is a grouping of clumps of debris. They have the makings of parts of a vessel but are not connected as far as you can tell. Some lie low in the sand and others stand tall to about 8ft. I think the name came from the pipes or tubing you'll find on some of the clumps. It looks like high grade stainless steel and has the appearance of a refrigeration system, hence "Ice Barge".

"Ice Barge" sounds so much more interesting than clumps of debris in the sand...now doesn't it.

They're not much to see and if you decide to dive on them, I hope you'll be moving on to another location for your second dive. You'll be able to see EVERYTHING possible on the Ice Barge about half way into your first dive.

Safe Diving,
Wil

I would try to get a vote going on the boat to change the destination to at least the Tiger.

Ice Barge will get old at about 5 minutes BT.

Ended up the dive was cancelled due to a small craft advisory. At least I'll know NOT to sign up for that dive. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom