Diving the Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he was saying that you are comparing a single dive spot (Farnsworth) to an entire peninsula full of multiple dive spots.

I think he was saying that you are comparing a single dive spot (Farnsworth) to an entire peninsula full of multiple dive spots.

Perhaps. But since that Farnsworth is a big ass sea mount and there are multiple anchor points available...

Anyway, it's my opinion. Others are more than welcome to voice their agreements or dissensions.

If you get seasick may I suggest an often overlooked alternative that might keep you from being sea sick all day? Contact Island Packers in Ventura and see if they still run the twin hull boat out to Anacapa. Its fast and the twin hull makes for a very stable ride. They give you a guided tour on the way out with a bit of background of the area. Once at Anacapa, you can dive off the landing cove wharf into the landing cove. Advantage--fabulous diving in a sheltered cove and if you want you can walk around the island and go to the visitors center between dives. Lots of critters. Trerra firma means the island does not roll with the swell (if it does, seasickness will be the least of your problems). Disadvantage--you have to hop off the dock and into the water, a pretty good drop or climb up and down the ladder. you are limited to carrying two tanks on to Island Packers. Amenities on the island are minimal and even less so cove side. I have done this trip a couple of times with friends who wanted to see the island and do some diving. Its not an option for everyone, but when it works, wow, what a dive and a pretty good island adventure. The Landing Cove is my favorite dive spot as indicated by my screen name. Even if you don't dive, I would suggest a visit to the island. It is one heck of a place.

If you get seasick may I suggest an often overlooked alternative that might keep you from being sea sick all day? Contact Island Packers in Ventura and see if they still run the twin hull boat out to Anacapa. Its fast and the twin hull makes for a very stable ride. They give you a guided tour on the way out with a bit of background of the area. Once at Anacapa, you can dive off the landing cove wharf into the landing cove. Advantage--fabulous diving in a sheltered cove and if you want you can walk around the island and go to the visitors center between dives. Lots of critters. Trerra firma means the island does not roll with the swell (if it does, seasickness will be the least of your problems). Disadvantage--you have to hop off the dock and into the water, a pretty good drop or climb up and down the ladder. you are limited to carrying two tanks on to Island Packers. Amenities on the island are minimal and even less so cove side. I have done this trip a couple of times with friends who wanted to see the island and do some diving. Its not an option for everyone, but when it works, wow, what a dive and a pretty good island adventure. The Landing Cove is my favorite dive spot as indicated by my screen name. Even if you don't dive, I would suggest a visit to the island. It is one heck of a place.

I had no idea that Island Packers lets you dive, that's awesome! Landing cove is an amazing spot. Back in July 06 I saw 5 Black Sea Bass that were all over 450lbs. It was my first time out with a camera so it's not my best work but here a pic.

PairedGiantBlackSeaBass032.jpg

Here's a shot of the giant swim through 6 months later. This spot is still a part of landing cove right?

Arch2.jpg

Billy

nice picture of the black sea bass. I saw them for the first time in 25 years of diving at the Channel Islands last summer at Anacapa. Your picture of the swim through reminded me of the time I was half way through and shined my light to the side only to see a fin swaying in the light surge. I was a bit shocked but swam over to investigate. It was the rental fin that a snorkeller had lost a few days before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom