Diving the Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the peace boat DOES provide tanks and weights and any other rental but you need to call ahead of time. Last I checked, they were still doing this even though the peace shop wasn't around anymore. They also fill nitrox 32%.

Also, the peace boat does several single day trips a week with the occasional multi day trip, not the other way around. The Spectre is the same way. (I'm considering a midnight departure a single day trip since technically it is!)

The Peace & the Spectre do provide tanks & weights & also reg. setups w/computer, wetsuits, hoods, gloves & booties you just have to make arrangements w/ the boats when you make the reservation.

John

The Peace tends to do two-days trips toward the weekends but now and then they would do a Saturday day trip. The Spectre runs more single day trips. Both have hot tubs (sweet for summer and ultra sweet for winter diving). The Peace has better food hands down. Joe the galley cook is without peers.

The Spectre gets chartered a lot by Sport Chalet and other shops for OW dives. Less so with the Peace.

And to reiterate what others have posted, either boats will equip you with all the equipment that you need provided that you let them know before hand. I believe that the Peace rents out the whole shebang (you only have to bring yourself) for 75 bucks/day.

I think Erika must be helping Brian with his typing.

I also really like the Peace boat.

Hey now! I have not been around Brian to help out with his Typing......... Im getting so slow at replying to these post! Love the peace Boat!

She lies. I've been following her posts. Picking up bad habits!

She lies. I've been following her posts. Picking up bad habits!

Haha! Following my post? I have not posted on here to much lately.... but have on FB :)

let us know when you want to dive, I'm sure at least one or two of us can make it to join!

Few corrections here buddy

The Northern Channel Islands are also dependent on weather as well:

All diving everywhere in the world is dependent on weather, even cave diving.

Anacapa is more of a series of isles than an actual island.

It's actually more like 2 islands here's a pic from google maps:

Picture1-6.png

Santa Cruz is arguably the biggest and there is an outfit called Island Packers that schedule backpacking/camping trips to this island. It's also easy to get to.

There's no argument there, it is the biggest of the Channel Islands and not the easiest to get to. Easiest is dependent on port of departure. From Ventura and The Channel Islands Harbor, Anacappa is the shortest distance and probably the easiest crossing in a typical SW swell. Santa Cruz is closer to Santa Barbara. That's why you don't see Ventura dive boats going to Santa Cruz that often and they usually charge more because of the extra gas expense.

...the Palos Verdes peninsula...easily the best diving in California outside of Farnsworth Banks.

I've never heard anyone say that PV is the 2nd best diving in So-Cal. Plus you're comparing one dive spot with an entire area. There's tons of good island diving that is far superior to any spot that I've been to in PV. A lot divers consider Old Marine Land in Palos Verdes one of the best shore dives in California, is that what you're think of?

Billy

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone say that PV is the 2nd best diving in So-Cal. Plus you're comparing one dive spot with an entire area. There's tons of good island diving that's far superior to any spot I've been to in PV. A lot divers consider Old Marine Land in Palos Verdes one of the best shore dives in California, is that what you're think of?

Billy

Yep. Old Marine Land is just one spot at the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Back
Top Bottom