Diving the Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter,
You were so right, in traveling to different cultures I too love to try the different foods, unless it gets way bazaar. But then again it has to get really way out there for me.

Don & his 37 friends

Hey, I am beginning to sound like the "Ugly American" - apologies to Professor Burdick! Look, guys and gals, I have spent lots of time in the "third world" and enjoyed munching on freshly cut lamb in a souk in Kuwait, enjoying beer and nasi goreng on a lonely back road in Bali, smacking my lips over a great roti on St. Kitts, eating great Mexican food in the middle of the Baja peninsula while seated on the tail gate of my jeep, etc. And, I repeat, there were some fine restaurants on Grand Cayman - I really liked lunch at On the Rocks, dinner at the Wharf, dinner at the Grand Old House - and I was contrasting them to the sorry excuse for a restaurant at Sunset. My point was that it exemplified the philosophy at Sunset - poor service, poor quality, poor maintanance and poor attitude.

I love to dive, but when the diving is done, I love to relax - whether by reading, sunning, watching TV, touring, inter alia - and Sunset just did not match up to the hype. At any rate, there is room for all sorts of opinions in the world and mine about Sunset - stated for the last time in these honored pages - is very negative.

Next time I give a negative review I will start with some other Julius speak "Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant!" (We who are about to die, salute you!)

Joewr

..just wanted to make sure you weren't turned off to Grand Cayman by your bad experience with Sunset House.
Happy diving! Casey

Joewr,
It's not the negative review that you gave as we welcome the good, bad and the Warhammer in all reviews.

It's just hard to believe that after all we have heard, this just wasn't possible.

You must have gotten the bad apple of the bunch.

Thanks ever so much for putting out the word. Now through your bad experience we have learned. Not that it makes it any easier on you, but you helped out a whole lot of people including myself as I am planning a trip there in late October.

Brutus has left the building.

Don #10

Joewr,

Our group was very content with the food at Sea Harvest and the rest of our stay with Sunset House. Maybe we are not that hard to please, but we've ventured all over the Caribbean and have even gotten in a few trips to Papua New Guinea. We would rate Sunset House right at the top.

For the rest of you who have followed this saga, we suggest that you check out their website and investigate the Sunset House. We just retuned from DEMA and signed our dive shop back to do two more trips this year with them!

Koyuk

Boy! as I read this I'm glad I'm a new diver (only 400 dives, All the Caribbean) cause now I'm scared to go back to my condo on Cayman (EAST end). I guess all the great diving we did was just beginners luck ... I'm sure the true divers of that terrible area hope you never come back , as they only get 2 million Divers per year.

Hopefully, the next time you get to go to such a great diving location, you'll have a much more rewarding experience.

I found that diving the East End had great visibility, virgin sites, and alot of other great things.

Hey, sorry to ruffle so many feathers! At any rate, a few quotes (I am very fond of good quotations) are in order:

As to the thickness of my skin, I quote Vinegar Joe Stillwell, one of the many larger than life figure out of WWII: Illigitamati non carborundum--if you cannot translate this somewhat inventive Latin, check out Barbara Tuchman's book, "Stillwell Out of China"

Then there is P.T. Barnum: "One is born every minute and two to...."

And finally, I repeat (in real Latin), De gustabus no disputandum--which in Japanese is, "hitobito no kokoro samazama da." i.e., different strokes for different folks.

Peace to all...

Joewr

Has anyone had an experience (good, bad or indifferent) with
Red Sail Sports? My son and I are going in June and will stay at the Marriott. Both have been rated very high, but I am interested in your opinions.

Thanks,

Real One

Real One, if you have read this whole thread, you will have realized that I nearly started WW III with my comments on Cayman! I suggest you e-mail Caymancase for info--she lives there and can lead you down the straight and narrow.

We heard really good things about River Sports and a dive master named Joanne(sp?), but they could not take us on.

If you hear incoming, duck!

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom