Diving the Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr,

I read the whole thread. I was asking someone else's opinion. I knew you had one. I found several positive reviews of the Caymans in the thread. I have also found from local divers that the Caymans can offer some spectacular diving. Yet nothing is perfect. That's why I was asking about that dive operator. They have received great reviews from others.

How well did you research the Caymans before you arrived?

Maybe most of your problems could have been avoided....

In my research, I recently saw an article on the "Cayman Diving Lodge" on the East End.

Has anyone had any experience with either the East End or Cayman Diving Lodge?

BTW

Thanks very much to caymancase for the email. I am exploring all my options.

Real-One

East End diving is great... heck,all the diving here is great! You might want to search the archives on Cayman Diving Lodge. I believe that there have been posts in the past and, if I'm not mistaken, Doc V has written a report.
Good luck in your research! Casey

We did a resort course w/ red sail out of the Hyatt before we got certified. I thought they were quite competent and had all the requisite equipment on the boats-o2, fresh water rinse tanks (2), shower, refreshments. The only drawback was the number of divers on the boat-I'm guessing 12 or so.

If you're looking for the less traveled sites, go with the smaller operators. send a note to camancase-she'll point you in the right direction.

Real-One-
I took my first dive trip ever to Cayman Dive Lodge- East End, at the end of Feb. I cannot say enough good things about this operation. First, you do nothing but carry your wetsuit to and from the boat. Everything else is done for you from the minute you arrive. Second, the divemasters are very professional, but also a lot of fun. The diving is terrific, of course! The food was also outstanding. The best way to sum this location up is to put it like this: You will be treated as a diver, not a tourist!

Here is a link if you want to check them out. Be sure to look at the daily dive report!
http://www.divelodge.com/

Also, just a note- they never have more than 8 divers per dive. (If there are more than 8 divers per boat, one DM per group, and the groups dive seperately.)

If you can't tell, I kind of like this place. :)
dmentia

RE: Red Sail
>Has anyone had an experience (good, bad or indifferent)
>with
>Red Sail Sports? My son and I are going in June and will >stay at the Marriott. Both have been rated very high, but
>I am interested in your opinions.
>
>Thanks,
>Real One
==========================================
I spent 8 days at the Marriott and 6 days with Red Sail (Scuba Oddessy Pkg) in March.

I had a great time.

Red Sail boats: absolutely first class equipment, fast, etc. Two dive masters on board every boat. Typical number of divers on a boat: 10-12. Broke into two groups of 5 or 6 each...(largest number of divers on any boat I was on: 14 ...) When I looked at the other companies' boats, they (the other boats) looked very shoddy, poorly maintained. Red Sail's boats were well maintained, clean, etc. Cold fresh water showers on the gunwales by the stern; separate wash tubs for cameras/computers and everything else; clean camera table.

[Then again, all they had on the boats for provisions for the divers was fruit, fresh water and lemonade. I remember a trip in the Med where there was fresh baked french bread, brie, pate and wine, but then again, that was off Cannes...]

Marriott: Quality rooms but pay to breathe...I'm surprised there wasn't a surcharge for toilet paper (;-) just kidding. But it felt like that -- with four hundred buck rooms, you didn't even get complimentary coffee in the lobby. I find that outrageous. (Heck, they could add ten bucks to every room and provide free coffee in the lobby and I'd be much happier.) The beach-side of this property is very pretty; the fancy restaurant is very good. You get very good service at the bar, on the beach and by the pool.

The health club? A !@#$!@#$!@#$ing embarrassment (èm-bàr´es-ment) as in:
1. The act or an instance of embarrassing.
2. The state of being embarrassed.
3. A source or cause of being embarrassed.
At the rates this place charges...

There's a World Gym about 5 minutes away from the hotel if you're a gym rat or you just want a decent workout (as if doing three dives a day isn't enough...for some, it isn't). They honor memberships in other World Gyms and, if you don't have a World Gym membership, they have day and week rates...

They charge an extra hundred bucks a night for ocean side rooms. Save the money. Watch the sunset from the beach.

The Hyatt, by the way, is cheaper than the Marriott. And it has Hemmingway's and a great hotel gym (not quite a World Gym) but it's rooms are on the OTHER side of the highway. Go have lunch at Hemmingway's.

All in all, given my wife's a non-diver and she travelled with me, I'd stay at the Marriott again. And use Red Sail. But there's too many places to go for be to go back for years...

You won't be disappointed with Red Sail. Do get ready for $$$ sticker shock though. Everything on GCM (Grand Cayman) is expensive. If you can get some of your nights free at the Marriott (their "Honored Guest" frequent inhabitant program), all the better...

Enjoy,

Anyone ever hear the expression, "Damning with faint praise"?

Guess who?

Joewr:
Thank you for being honest about your bad experience in Grand Cayman at Sunset House. I am planning a trip to Grand Cayman in July so the more info. I get, the better!

I'm leaning toward Cobalt Coast and Divetech (North side) because I do not want to dive the south side. Also, my boyfriend and I do not like crowds, cruise ships or traffic. In the past I've always chosen Little Cayman for the awesome diving and quiet atmosphere. We dove with Paradise Divers and loved them.

You mentioned Bonaire....I just got back from there last month. We stayed at Divi Resort. The newly renovated oceanfront rooms are lovely. The Chibi Chibi Restaurant is great! The dive shop onsite is not good at all. I cannot recommend Divi Dive Bonaire. The shop staff were abrupt and unhelpful. The divemasters seemed bitter and aloof. We did 2 boat dives with them and then decided- no more! We ended up doing 22 of the best shore dives of our lives! In a word, the shore diving will knock your socks off! I particularly loved these sites: Alice in Wonderland, Karpata, Ol Blue, Salt City, Angel City and the Town Pier night dive (which was the best night dive of my life!)

We checked out Buddy Dive Resort on a recon trip. We liked what we saw. Great casual restaurant and helpful folks in the dive shop.

I used to work in the industry as an instructor, so I have pretty high standards. Skip Divi and try Buddy's or Lion's Den.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info.!

Tater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom