Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw an Avelo tank on EBAY today... $1,299.00 (10.00 off with the coupon code.) I'm thinking you have to have two... at least in S. Florida

Some interesting photos of the cylinder. Would be nice to get the weight for comparison with normal kit.

Saw an Avelo tank on EBAY today... $1,299.00 (10.00 off with the coupon code.) I'm thinking you have to have two... at least in S. Florida
Interesting. I wasn't sure they'd actually be selling these, as the pricing on the tank wasn't released along with the rest of the kit. I'm still not sure that they are going to be for sale. EBay Seller has a rather diverse portfolio of items for sale.

Ouch on the price. In total, I spent just a bit more than that for all of my main tanks (8 at current count).

I also wonder on the longevity of the tank. What are the requalification requirements/intervals? And is there a finite life? As I recall, there were some limitations on the longevity of the carbon fiber wrapped tanks.

The Hydrotank is visually inspected yearly and hydrostatically tested every 5 years. The bladder is visually inspected yearly and replaced every 5 years.

The pump on the Jetpack undergoes maintenance every 2 years.

The Hydrotank is visually inspected yearly and hydrostatically tested every 5 years. The bladder is visually inspected yearly and replaced every 5 years.

The pump on the Jetpack undergoes maintenance every 2 years.
Thanks for the info. I thought that carbon-wrapped tanks needed a Hydro every three years. Their max lifetime is 15 years. Did Avelo get a special dispensation or are they not carbon-wrapped?

Thanks for the info. I thought that carbon-wrapped tanks needed a Hydro every three years. Their max lifetime is 15 years. Did Avelo get a special dispensation or are they not carbon-wrapped?
The COPV, composite overwrapped pressure vessel, is an aluminum liner, wrapped with multiple layers of carbon fiber and fiberglass.

I heard nothing in my training course and see nothing in the training materials about a finite lifespan for the Hydrotank. You can contact Avelo through their website.

You won’t be able to assist with additional buoyancy to any person in need — unless you can quickly inflate and deploy a SMB

Memories of panicking and unconscious diver rescue drills spring to mind.

When I took the avelo course, an SMB was indeed a required part of the kit. I recommend carrying an SMB (or DSMB in my case) on every dive, Avelo or not.

One could also attempt to establish buoyancy using the failing diver's own equipment. In the recreational single-tank setups that the Avelo system was designed for, must I be strongly positively-buoyant myself in order to effect a rescue?

In my rescue scenarios in many courses (not just Rescue Diver), controlling a diver from behind would often mean dumping your own gas then using their inflator to control the ascent. Obviously this isn't available in Avelo diving, certainly not in the standard location for the BCD inflate and dump.

A friend has had to deal with an IPO/E with a semi-conscious diver, transporting them to the surface.

Wonder if some people on the Avelo system would have a standard wing as well as the rest of the Avelo kit & caboodle. Would make life so much easier in those nasty rescue scenarios not to mention when on a choppy surface waiting for the boat to arrive.

There is an Avelo webinar tomorrow night at 8 pm EDT, Sept 12. Shearwater CEO Jason Leggatt will be one of the participants, discussing the Avelo mode on their Teric computer.

You can register for the Zoom event on the Avelo website

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom