Diving Thailand: another request for info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobshreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have read the other posts I have found on Thailand and have come up with some specific questions, although any advice is welcome. We are planning to go to Thailand in late October, getting to Phuket Bay 10/20. We are fairly experienced divers (AOW+, 50+ dives) and have dived extensively in the Philippines. I've heard that the Similan Islands are unavailable to diving until Nov, and I've also heard they suffered from the tsunami of 2004.

1. Does it make any sense to move our vacation 10 days so we can get to the Similans?
2. We're pretty low key and Phuket sounds a little intense. I'm thinking about staying in the south, places like Railay Beach, Koh Lanta, or Laem Trong. Does that make sense? What do people recommend?
3. How about flying in to Krabi instead of Phuket?
4. Everybody says dive the Phi Phi isles. What other sites do people recommend. Surinboy was talking about some non "fairground" sites. Where do we go, who do we talk to to find these kinds of sites?

We would really like to come away from our 4 days thinking we have dived at some sites that reflect what Thailand has to offer.

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Bob

Yes, a few of the many divesites at the Similans did sustain some damage, but really very, very little, and nothing that a diver who does not know the area would notice.

In October there are liveaboards and daytrips going to the Similans.

From Railey etc: no Similan trips, and I would recommend to go there, so to extend your vacation.

Only fly to Krabi if you decide not to go to the Similans.

Nice sites in the Phi Phi area: Bida Nok, Bida Nai, Shark Point area, Hin Bida, and a bit further away Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa.

Have fun.

Instead of going to Phuket, you could head straight to Kao Lak which is more or less opposite the Simlan islands and they have shorter (day) rides to the Similan island archipello.
Kao Lak is about an hour from Phuket airport, the same distance roughly if you need to go to the South of Phuket from the airport.

Hi Bob. Thanks for even reading my posts ;-)

Since you are living in the Phillipines it makes sense to move your holiday to take in the Similans. But as Stevenl says, you can probably find liveaboards in October even though technically that's illegal.

I wouldn't go to Railey or Ao Nang. I lived there for a few years and they have been engorged by a lot of package tourism. Also, Ao Nang has Mcds, Burger King, Pizza Company, Subway etc The kiss of death for a destination IMHO. Railey used have lots of cute little beach bars, but is now a concrete jungle of resorts pumping raw sewage out on their own doorsteps. Very Sad.

Krabi is a bit better and Lanta is also nice. Phuket town is mixed. The town and some areas are very pleasant. Patong is a joke.

Phi Phi is also over run and a bit of a party destination full of young scandis et al. The diving there is mediocre (compared to Similans) and for the 5 years I dived those sites I noticed a decline in both the life and conditions. Nevertheless, this area is still quite striking. Those jutting limestone karsts are quite impressive. Again this is all IMHO!!!

Good luck in your quest.

Wow, if it's so bad in Ao Nang and Phi Phi what hope is there for the rest!
Railey is very popular and you have a very good choice from bungalow to 5* hotels. Most of our divers who stay their remark on its beauty. Need a better reason?
We can provide you with all the diving to the nice sites stevenl listed and transfer you over to Khao Lak for your liveaboard to Similan when you're ready. Krabi to Khao Lak is just under 2 hours drive in the minibus.
Krabi airport is new and typically only a half hour drive away from most hotels.

Bob, I won't repeat what has been said already here and elsewhere except to reiterate that if it's easy enough for you to come later, do try to shift your dates a bit. There will be more boats running to the Similans, even just a couple of weeks later (meaning greater choice), and with any luck the sea will begin to flatten out a little.

Hi Bob.

I was in Thailand this April. I dove Phi Phi Island. The reef is relatively healthy there. Phi Phi island I would say is more geared towards the younger crowd i.e. 20s and early 30s.

The dive sites generally are busy, with 2-3 boats anchored at each site. With a good group of divers, it would be a fantastic dive experience. The dives aren't very deep which would make for a fantastic bottom time.

Talke to Quero. She knows her stuff regarding Thailand.

Good point about the age groups going to Phi Phi, it's a similar age range going to Railey too. The rock climbing school being popular with the "give anything a go once" crowds. We go to Phi Phi daily and beyond too. We make a point of trying to avoid the crowded sites, but sometimes it gets busy. Boats come from Phi Phi (of course with some 25 dive centres), Phuket, Lanta and Krabi.

Thank you all for your help. There are so many choices and I am so ignorant of Thailand.

Hi Bob,
Don't fret too much over your choice, you'll be back again to sample another area I'm sure. Go with your gut feeling. You want quiet, there's plenty of choice, you want to be in the busy places, every resort destination has them. West coast diving is great. The secret is to choose a spot wher you don't have to race around doing everything, concentrate on what you really want for you and your family and you'll all enjoy.
katdiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom