Diving Tacoma Narrows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveguy1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings!

Is the Tacoma Narrows diveable right now? I'm curious as to whether the area is not open/advisable to dive due to the new bridge construction.

Also, can anyone recommend a charter boat to dive the Narrows or that general area? I'm looking to dive sometime in the next 2 weeks somewhere around there...

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Hey Diveguy1, welcome to the Board!

What's it like diving on the remains of ol' Galloping Gertie? Isn't it kind of deep?

Isn't there a vicious current running through that area?

Parts of it are diveable ... other parts are off-limits due to the construction.

Contact Bandito Charters. Rick Meyers knows the area quite well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, the area around the Narrows is current-swept, and it is important to dive at slack -- or you can dive with Rick off the Bandito and do a drift there. I've done that, and it was a pretty wild ride!

I agree you need to contact Rick at Banditos.
The Narrows are swift and deep. I can't think of a better Captain to dive it with.

The deepest point in the bridge area of the channel is 232 feet. Most of the old bridge is 90-200 feet and it is a quick ride. While majority of the old bridge is out of recreational limits, there is still a lot to see. Because of the construction, you cannot dive under the bridge or anywhere close to where the crews are working. I cannot wait to get back under and dive it again. From what I understand, we are looking at Late 2007.

In 2003, the Tacoma News Tribune did a great article about the old bridge and even had a great map of Gertie. They interviewed a lot of local divers. I kept the map for a while and then when I moved, it got lost.

One of the dives you can do in the Narrows is at Mile post 8. It is a great drift dive to see cool life and just get a great ride. As the others have mentioned, Banditos is the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom