diving spots between Minneapolis and Atlanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcf57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm flying up to Minneapolis, MN to help a family member move from there to the Atlanta, GA area (my home). We are driving the whole way with a u-haul in tow. We are both certified divers with about 30 logged dives.

Are there any worthy spots to go diving at between Minneapolis and Atlanta. We are both casual divers since 2007, but are looking for something that can be somewhat challenging & enjoyable as well. Ideally, would like to have it somewhere sort of in the middle since its about a 19hr drive and we'll be staying over somewhere overnight on the way.

My family member isn't crazy about lake diving so I realize it might be kind of hard and limit our choices, but just wondering about some possibilities I could look into.

:hm: Between MN and Atlanta ... lakes, quarries, rivers ... :idk: what else is there? If you find some place to dive, be sure to post a report here.

Drive/dive safely.

Devils Lake in Devils Lake State Park, WI. is a low key place to dive. Pearl Lake in South Beloit IL. (IL./WI. state line). could be on your way south as it is not far from I-90. Haigh Quarry in Kankakee IL. is a nice site. It is not to far out of your way and has several places to stay the night nearby. I am assuming you are taking I-65 through Indiana so Mermet Springs in the southern tip of Illinois is not really on your way. There are a couple of places that I am aware of in Indiana but do not have any experience at them. France Park in Indiana and Blue Springs also in Indiana. Blue Springs seems to be having some kind of ownership problem so may not be open.

You did not mention if you will have your own gear or will need to rent. Devils Lake has no diver support services. Pearl Lake has on site air fills. Equipment can be rented from Loves Park Scuba in Loves Park IL. which is about 20 minutes south of Pearl Lake. Haigh Quarry offers air fills, Nitrox fills, and equipment rental all on site. I hope this helps. Have fun! :D

Yea, we would both have to rent all of our equipment so on-site rental of gear would definitely be preferred. Haigh Quarry then sounds like a possibly. No specific route is set in stone so we can essentially deviate from any given path to maybe accommodate stopping at a certain place (but not too far out of the way).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom