Diving - So many people do it now...why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

um4r

Reaction score
Why do you think so many people are getting into diving these days?

Like imagine 20 years ago, there would have been such a small group..usually professionals of some sort.

Now it can still be seen as a niche area but it is def. growing..as you can see on this forum and on others.

I'd say we as tourists are getting more sophisticated and with the channels we have these days such as National Geographic and Discovery Planet and the internet we want to learn more and do different things. So then we can have a status and go back to our family and say..Oh I dived with sharks...how many people can say that for example in your office workplace?

What do you guys think of this...

um4r:
Why do you think so many people are getting into diving these days?

What do you guys think of this...

They are getting ready for Global Warming...:D

whats that supposed to mean

It means if the ice caps melt, many of our homes will be underwater.

um4r:
Like imagine 20 years ago, there would have been such a small group..usually professionals of some sort.

I was a DM on a charter boat 20 years ago. We had the same type groups I see today. Nothing has changed all that much. I believe your assumption is flawed.

um4r:
So then we can have a status and go back to our family and say..Oh I dived with sharks...how many people can say that for example in your office workplace?
well that's certainly not why I dive. Would be a silly reason.

I started diving in the early 80's and at that time the dive industry was making efforts to transform the sport from a mostly men only Mike Nelsonish kind of adventure thing to a sport with a much broader appeal to women and to a wider age and fitness range of less dedicated occasional divers. It was pretty obvious then that there was big money in training, equipment sales and dive travel if the number of divers could be greatly expanded.

Some of the changes I saw were small - like dive gear coming in colors other than than black, orange and yellow in an effort to have fashionable dive gear that was more appealing to women while others were major, such as the watering down of math, depth of coverage of gas laws and required skills in OW courses.

In short I think your theory has some merit, but you have to go back 30 years and compare diving today to diving in the mid to late 70's to make it work.

the dive industry moved away from what was originally a military-esque niche market by dumbing down technical material, eliminating physical fitness requirements, creating minimal-effort 'resort' courses, introducing 'fashion-oriented' equipment, opening cert requirements to children, etc. Without these changes, the dive-related business model would have been short-lived.

Mass media offerings such as The Deep, Open Water, Aquanauts, Deep Sea Detectives, The Abyss, The Cave, internet forums, etc etc certainly attract newcomers to the sport. Online shopping facillitates equipment purchases for consumers, regardless of whether brick and mortar shops are available locally.

Technical diving is growing for its own reasons: the evolution of a population of experienced divers with sufficient discretionary income wanting to do more challenging dives, development of software-based decompression planners, improvements in hardware options, media exposure, coolness factor (count the number of posts here where brand new divers invariably mention that they will be heading in a tech direction).

Lots of reasons why there are people being attracted to diving. If bragging at the office is a motivator for you, add that to the list...

(sorry DA, you've already covered a bit of what I posted. took me a while to compose this and didn't see your reply.)

All the expensive, but readily accessible leisure sports have seen large increases over the past three decades. Two of the major factors in this trend are changes in income distribution and the greatly decreased cost of travel.

The former means the traditional base from which divers are drawn (what in the U.S. we call upper middle class) have much more disposable income than before, so are more likely to try out an activity even if it costs several hundred dollars. Combining this with the much lower costs of travel means that the Carribean or Hawaiian vacation, which used to be considered a once in a lifetime trip for most Americans, can now be an annual dive trip.

Of course the industry has responded by making gear more accessible and dumbing down basic training. The leisured classes simply will not put up with many too many barriers, they can always play golf, go fishing or hunting or snowmobiling or ....

The counter example would be flying. The number of active pilots has steadily decreased in this country since the WWII generation finished their government funded training (either directly or through the GI Bill). Why? Since flying is tightly regulated by the government, which puts a much greater emphasis on safety than increasing participation, training has actually gotten harder over time. The leisured class is simply not willing to put up with a couple hundred hours of study (including, gasp, math) and training. This, by the way, is why diving is so anxious to keep the government from regulating it.

Aviation is the counter example for gear as well. For a variety of factors (OK two factors, liability fears and the government approval process), until a few years ago, private aircraft evolution had virtually stopped. While dive gear was getting safer, more comfortable and more colorful, factory aircraft were basically stuck in the pre-electronic era. It got so bad that all real innovation was coming from people building experimental planes in their garages. Finally decades after the garage tinkerers came up then, things like composite construction and whole plane parachutes are making their way to factory built aircraft. This has led to a mini-boom in sales, but of course without more pilots the effects will be limited.

It's interesting that the aviation industry has finally convinced the government to meet it halfway in an attempt to bring new people into the sport. This has resulted in a new Sport Pilot license which takes the rec diving approach of maintaining sufficient safety despite providing minimal training by simply limiting allowed activities to those least likely to cause problems. Just like rec diving is limited to NDL depths and no overhead environments, Sport Pilots are limited to slow, small and simple planes and flying during daylight hours in good weather. There is also a new category of Sport Pilot planes. These get a much simpler approval process, which should allow for greater and faster innovation than under the existing regulations.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom