Diving shops on Maui and Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spartakus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
me, my wife and two adult kids are going to Maui and Big Island this May. I and my elder son made about 50 dives each. My wife and my younger son made about 10 dives. There are plenty of dive shops there, so difficult to choose. Which ones would you recommend, and why?
Thanks,
Andy

Charlie99 has a very good essay on Maui dive shops HERE.

Just to make a more complete picture of Maui diving, don't forget the two local dive shops not mentioned by Charlie99, as well as the many resort dive operators.

Maui Dreams Dive Shop is located in Kihei, giving full support to many South Maui shore divers. Sales, rentals, service, EANx, classes, tours and they are the "new" operator of Maui Diamond II not mentioned in Charlie's list (not really new now). This is the dive shop I frequent for South Maui shore diving.

Pacific Dive Shop is located in Lahaina, also giving full support to many West Maui divers, with everything mentioned above except they do not operate a boat. This is the dive shop I frequent for West Maui shore diving.

Finally, there are dive operators in many of the beach front resorts. Depending on the particulars, these op's may be the best pick for some guests. You don't even have to be a guest of that resort most of the time and if they are within walking distance there is no need for rental car and very little schlepping of dive gear.

Thanks TsandM andf Halemano (Charlie99),
it turns out I did not notice the previous interesting thread on diving in Maui. It will take a me a few nights to study. How about the Big Island?
Andy

My personal favorite has always been Jack's in Kona.

The shop can get a bit hectic, and I'd suggest not waiting to show up to get on a boat that morning (they often sell out), but I've always been treated really well there.

Good boats, good crew, and they try to do everything for you. I prefer to manage my own gear, and they were OK with that too. I appreciated that.

+1 for Jack's. Make sure Keller is on board when you go.

Or there's lots of shore diving to be had too.

-Eric

I have not been to Maui but for Kona diving I would not hesitate to recommend Big Island Divers. Their boats are smaller than Jacks and they seemed more flexible when we wanted to go to specific sites and dive without guides. The guide ended up following us at a comfortable distance.

Very professional, very clean and all around good folks.

On Kona - Kona Coast Scuba Diving

They will take you where you want to go, when you want to go and the diving will be tailored to your group.

Their dock is in Honokohau Harbor, and some of the best diving in Kona is right outside the harbor.

Their boat is very comfortable and the surface intervals a bonus with some great food (often homemade). Both Debbie and Dennis are divemasters and will provide helpful tips on your diving techniques or questions and are also very knowledgeable on the sea critters.

Don't miss the night dive with the mantas.

Back
Top Bottom