Diving shops on Maui and Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks very much for all your suggestions.
About manta dives: does one need to be night certified to do one?
Is it really for novices (like my wife with 9 dives?).
Andrey

Andrey
"Night certified"? What the heck is that?

I think my wife's and my fourth dive after getting certified in SoCal was the manta dive with Jack's. Sure, pretty exciting still that new to diving, but a very tame dive with all the other divers, lights, etc. It's shallow too. Tell her to go for it.

Andrey

Don't worry, you will both do fine. Have fun!
It is a shallow, 35'-40' and all you do is sit there watching those beautiful animals.:D

Andrey

My wife and 3 kids (youngest was my son, 10 at the time) did the night manta ray dive as their 1st night dive ever. For my son, it was about dive number six post OW. They all did fine. I had done a lot of night diving before, and was a tiny bit concerned about the kids, but as it turned out it was an amazing dive. Absolutely not to be missed. My wife descibes it as not only her most amazing dive ever, but also one of her most amazing life experiences ever. I agree.

As far as dive shops in Kona, I think you've already been given some great recommendations. We did our manta dive (and the kids & wife did AOW) with Jack's Diving Locker, and I'd highly recommend them. I've also heard good things about several other dive ops, just have not gone out with them yet since I mainly shore dive... by the way the shore diving is terrific in Kona, but ask the shop you end up going with about that if you decide to try some shore dives.

Enjoy your trip.

My son's first night dive was the Manta dive too- don't miss it!

All right, thanks so much, it's decided: we'll do the manta dive! Can't wait!

Look up Wanna-dive-kona.com I've been diving with them for a number of years and steve is great. Six pack boat - no big crowds - great dive guides. I'll be back next year for a month of diving with them.

Thank you for all your contributions. My family and me had a great time diving. On Maui we went with Prodiver. Prodiver was a great start for us because some of my family were rusty, and they have small groups and tailor the trip to you. Most memorable was the trip to Molokini with gray reef sharks and a barracuda and Red Hill with Matt having dental cleaning by a shrimp. We also did a shore dive on our own (Ulua), where we saw a manta. On the Big Island we went with Jack's Diving Locker. And they were incredible! The most memorable was of course the manta dive with lots and lots of them. This was one of the most incredible experiences in my life! Thank you so much to Jeff! Here are i will try to show some pictures from the trip.http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=4042

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom