Diving Sandals Whitehouse, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are heading to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica December 1 for a week. Any comments on the diving?? We are hoping to do some wreck diving but heard there aren't many in that part of Jamaica. Thanks for your help.

My wife and I went to Whitehouse in 2006 for our honeymoon and had a great time. I would recommend some motion sickness medicine for the taxi ride from the airport, but you won't need it on the boat. I got my OW cert at the resort and the whole dive team was great. Equipment was in good working order, so I can't complain about that. One of the coolest things about the resort is the fact that there is nothing else around. The only boats I saw for the whole week was the dive boat and ski boat owned by the resort. The diving was ok, since then I have dove in Grand Cayman on a wreck and in Cozumel, and on both those dives I saw more stuff. I will say the longest ride on the boat we took was 15 minutes from the resort. We had a great time, and the resort is a little slice of heaven. We didn't leave the place for the whole week, and didn't even need to, we had everything we needed there. I will offer this advice, go to Giuseppe's (the italian restaurant) and try the welcome drink (an Ichiban) and you have to try a Jamaican Smile! Lastly, take your camera, because the sunset is something you will want to take home with you. My wife and I sat on the beach every night and watched it melt into the ocean. It is breathtaking! Enjoy, I know we did. We are going to Dunn's River in December.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have to wear motion sickness patches so I will definitely take some meds as well for the trip in to the resort. We looked at taking the helicopter but $600 US per couple one was was a little steep. We are leaving in 2 weeks and getting really excited. Sounds like the resort is wonderful!! Are the reefs around the resort just dead or is there just not much to see? Would you recommend taking our own equipment?? Thanks again. I know we will be grabbing a few beverages and watching the sunset every night. Enjoy Dunn's River!! We went to Couples Ocho Rios and my husband enjoyed the diving on that side very much. I just got my OW and AOW this summer so my first trip south. Can't wait. Thanks again.

Well it is all reef diving, Just not as much to see as in Grand Cayman or Cozumel. The greatest thing is feeling like you are the only people in the ocean. The equipment was fine, I didn't have a mask and used one from the resort, which worked out ok. If I took anything, it would be my mask and fins, which will make a big difference on your comfort. The water was 85 degrees at 65 ft deep! I dove the whole week in a swimsuit and tee-shirt (which they will make you wear). It was my first experience scuba diving, so I loved it, and the dive staff was great. Get ready to hear a lot of Bob Marley and relax. Overall, I would give the resort a 9 and the diving a 7(on a scale of 1 to 10). When you get back, I would be interested to know what you guys think about the place. Have a great trip! Remember, a Jamaican Smile!

Hi,

I went to Sandals Whitehouse last December and have to say it was AMAZING! I have to agree with everything that Big Orange Diver said.
As for the diving I would really say that this is a beginners place to dive. It's where I learnt to dive and the guys at the dive centre are really really great! I think it's part of what made our experience so good. We didn't do any wreck diving there and we dove twice a day for 5 days
so you should enquire about that if it's your main reason for going.
Since then I have been to Great Barrier Reef, East China Sea and Julian's Rocks in Australia.
So if I look back on Whitehouse for diving like I said more begginers.
The reefs are sparse (last year when we went they just had a hurricane so there was lots of debris in the water which is probably cleared up since then)
but we say Sharks, eels, lobster and rays. More big things not so much coral.
If you let me know how many dives you've done and where you've been I can tell you more what you might think of it.
But service at this place is amazing and I went Dec 15 last year and the place was
pretty much empty which was great!!!

Thanks Nunya. My husband has been a diver for many years and has 50 + dives. I just got my AOW this summer and have 13 dives including my certification dives. We are mainly diving in Tobermory in Canada. Will miss the wreck diving as that is our favourite but will enjoy the reef diving as a change of pace.

Sorry for resurrecting this old post but we are headed to Sandals Montego Bay and Whitehouse in about a week. :yeahbaby:

Has anyone been to Whitehouse more recently? Just wondered if there is any newer info floating around in your collective heads...?

Went end of April 2010, the diving was fair, vis was about 50ft(but that ca change) Not allot of fish, or big animals. In 2006 saw and dove with dolphins.We went diving everyday
Beware and make sure you take responsability for yourself, the dive operation is veyr laxed.
Hotel, food, and service is excellent worth the trip. I would go backi

Just got back from Whitehouse, Jamaica. Only got in 2 dives after my DSD b/c of big wind and swells, but they were a lot of fun! Whitehouse Reef and Cottage Reef. Vis was variable as has been said before. Cottage reef was the better of the two, but no big animals or mammals on our dives. It was a great vacation with some decent diving on the side!

Back
Top Bottom