Diving safer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are there any statistics available showing that diving is safer or more dangerous now that we have BC's, rebreathers, computers, octopi, etc? The statistics should take into account the differences in the number of divers between then and now.

Are there any statistics available showing that diving is safer or more dangerous now that we have BC's, rebreathers, computers, octopi, etc? The statistics should take into account the differences in the number of divers between then and now.

This comes up now and then, and a search will turn up tons of posts.

The short story is that there are no available records showing how many divers are certified every year, how many actually dive or how many dives they do or how many injuries or fatalities there are.

It's possible to get some really unreliable stats by making assumptions and correlating with the little bits of data available, but it's not even close to being reliable.

The good part is that knowing whether diving in general is safer or more dangerous than it was is not nearly as useful as making your dives safer, which is a goal that anybody can accomplish if they want to work at it a little.

Terry

DAN has reasonably reliable statistics on scuba fatalities in the USA & Canada and for USA + Candadian divers for quite a few years.

The trendline is generally a slow reduction in the number of fatalities (around 90 fatalities per year IIRC), even as diving has become more popular over the last 15 years.

Here's some stats ---

Year / # of Fatalities
1970 ........ 110

rising to a peak of
1974 ........ 144
1975 ........ 127
1976 ........ 147

Then declines to around
90 fatalities per year by the mid 1980's, where it has stayed since then.

Considering the relative number of divers in 1975 vs today, and the fact that the total number of fatalities was about 50% higher even with the fewer divers of 1975, it is clear that diving was more dangerous then.

I'll let others speculate as to whether it is the result of equipment, training, changing demographics, or sunspots.

Yeah, as I recall from the DAN stats, there were about the same number of fatalities last year as there were in 1975, and there are a bunch more divers.

The number of tech diving accidents is up from then, though, due to the immensely greater number of tech divers.

From a statistical perspective, it would be necessary to know the number of diving/hours or days or some other statistically neutral bit of data.

While there are certainly more divers today than in 1975, for example, that is really pretty meaningless.

For example, we don't measure auto accidents by the number of cars, or the number of drivers --we measure them by the miles driven (actually, we measure them by hundred thousand miles driven).

We measure the crime rate in crimes per hundred thousand popluation (although I have always thought that was a bit skewed because we limit it by state).

Most likely there are more dive/days now than in 1975 --there must be because there are more dive boats and they are all going out more often.

So, as I understand the accident data, there has probably been a dramatic reduction in the true accident rate in the past 25 years.

Of course, I suck at math.

Jeff

Nothing wrong with a J valve and a tank from the 70s strapped to your back, wearing a pair of shorts. That feels like freedom compared to the typical load.

From a statistical perspective, it would be necessary to know the number of diving/hours or days or some other statistically neutral bit of data.

While there are certainly more divers today than in 1975, for example, that is really pretty meaningless.

For example, we don't measure auto accidents by the number of cars, or the number of drivers --we measure them by the miles driven (actually, we measure them by hundred thousand miles driven).

Right. But it sounds like these statistics don't exist. One way to get at it might be to normalize to sales of some consumable piece of equipment. In your car analogy, you could substitute gallons of gas or quarts of oil used and try to correct for changing mileage/maintenance standards.

Are the number of hydro inspections performed per year available? That should mostly correlate with the number of dives being done.

Well maybe.

Back in the day, everyone I knew who dove, were fewer in number but dove a lot (as in on an almost weekly basis with multiple dives per day/week and probably had a lot more dives per year on average than the average diver now.

My understanding is that today we have a large number of divers who become certified but perhaps only 20% of those divers stay involved in diving after being certified. Of these, many divers only dive during one or two trips per year with a total of perhaps 6 to 10 dives per year - a 3 day weekend's worth for an active 1970's diver.

So even if we have 20, 30 or 50 times more certified divers and many more destination divers now than 30 or 40 years ago, it does not automatically mean we have more dives per year or more diver hours underwater per year - which are far better ways to measure risk exposure than the number of certified divers.

Also, the types of diving differ.

Technical diving accident and training trends scare me a bit as many new technically oriented divers seem to have fairly low levels of life time dive experience - justified by the arguments that training standards are adequate and that recreational experience does not really help in techncial situations. I don't completly buy either argument as, tech or rec, there are good and bad instructors and that means far more than the particular curriculuum or course standards, and comfort and ability in the water as well as gross experience with different conditions can still be useful transitioning from rec to tech.

What training in excess of experience and seasoning can produce is over confidence and complacency that can result in divers getting into situations where their limited skills and experience can no longer get them pout of safely regardless of training. The same thing happens to pilots who are statistically most likely to die between 220-250 hours (when they normally get a commercial license and think they know how to fly and are clueless of many of the creative ways to die) and 2000 hours (when they get their ATP and have learned enough to know there is a whole lot they will always need to learn and they know about a whole lot more things that can kill them.)

In contrast, recreational training has been watered down in the last 20 years to the point that a diver no longer has to be very fit, a very accomplished swimmer, or particularly knowledgeable about math and physics to get certified. They are however in effect often very DM dependent - not something you saw at all 20-25 years ago. This I think has also fed the trend toward more dive boat operators as more and more divers dive solely on destination trips babysat by a DM.

So whether the dive industry is safer cannot be answered soley on accident numbers. It is also a distinctly different question than whether the average diver is "safer". Finally, the reasons why diving is "safer" (or not) are potentially very complex in a system where at one extreme techncial divers of varying experience but comparatively high levels of training engage in much more dangerous activity than the average rec diver, while at the other large numbers of rec divers with little training, experience or currency are kept alive by DM's and dive boat procedures designed to keep them out of trouble from poor planning, limited skills, etc.

I won't even get into rebreathers other than to say they have been around longer than open ciircuit suba. And that now, as was the case then, dive per dive, they kill a lot more divers than open circuit SCUBA.

Are the number of hydro inspections performed per year available? That should mostly correlate with the number of dives being done.
Not really. I have a freind who owns his own tank and maybe dives 1 or 2 times per year - but he gets it hydro'ed every 5 years and VIP'd every year. I own about 12 tanks but have historically done 100-120 dives per year and my spouse using the same tanks also did 70-100 dives per year.

Air/nitrox fills might be a better measure, but no one collects that data either and it leaves out hard core divers like me with their own compressor.

Not really. I have a freind who owns his own tank and maybe dives 1 or 2 times per year - but he gets it hydro'ed every 5 years and VIP'd every year. I own about 12 tanks but have historically done 100-120 dives per year and my spouse using the same tanks also did 70-100 dives per year.

But unless patterns of tank ownership have changed over the years, it should still correlate. What I mean is that if 10% of tanks now are owned by people like your friend and 10% of tanks 15 years ago were owned by people like your friend, then the correlation is still there. You don't need to extrapolate either number to "dives made per year" as long as some unknown multiplier is still the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom