Diving Safely as We Age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee, at 58 I feel like a spring chicken here! :D
I didn't learn to dive till my mid-40s. I haven't made any changes in how I dive (I dive in Lake Michigan as well as in the tropics), but I'm motivated to stay in shape so that I can keep diving.

Great article. It has been something I have been thinking about. Glad to hear that I am on the right track.

The biggest problem for me in scuba is that while I am diving, I am unable to keep the local kids off my lawn.

I almost have the problem solved: I just added a motion-detection activated video camera so I can record them and watch on my computer or cell phone while I'm away. Next I'll install an audio system so I can yell at them too! I still haven't figured out how to shake my walking stick at them though.

Anyone else feel great after diving with Nitrox.?
Being 64 about an hour after diving with 32 to 34 nitrox my body feels like it is 18.
I attribute this to the hyperbaric oxygen.

Being 64 about an hour after diving with 32 to 34 nitrox my body feels like it is 18.

Frankly no difference between nitrox and air. But on the other and I always feel great after a dive :)

actually I no longer will dive air. Even I BHB i'll dive nitrox (like 50%) and feel great.

Last year at age 56, I completed my PADI Divemaster training. Near the end of the course, one of the senior instructors who teaches tech courses told me that elderly divers often switch to sidemount! He said I might consider a sidemount setup. Elderly!!

GJS

p.s. I am thinking about 2, 7 litre Faber tanks, Hollis regs, etc......... Damn!

Last year at age 56, I completed my PADI Divemaster training. Near the end of the course, one of the senior instructors who teaches tech courses told me that elderly divers often switch to sidemount! He said I might consider a sidemount setup. Elderly!!

"Mature" is more politically correct :wink: Elderly doesn't apply until you are on MediCare.

Just figure out how to use it to your benefit.

Back
Top Bottom