Diving Safely as We Age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great article. I would echo Jax comment re weight and conditioning. There is a clear link between obesity and cardiac risk in or out of the water. We should all strive to try to stay thin and in condition.

One other thing that was not mentioned was nitrox. I am curious what people think as to what impact, if any, nitrox use might have on cardiac risk. I see old, fat divers all the time and figure they are just accidents waiting to happen.

I personally am 66 and have been diving 42 years.
I bike ride every day.

I limit my diving now to warm water, no decompression, nitrox, and take a longer safety stop. If at some point, I drop dead on a dive, I figure there are far worse ways to go.

Reactions: Jax
"Ifat some point, I drop dead on a dive, I figure there arefar worse ways to go."

The old fat out of shape divers probably feel the same way.
:p

Yes weight, 6 years ago I dropped from 220 down to 170. Hard to get there and once you drop the weight and have a reason to keep it off it's easy. My reason is to help deplete the fish of the Oceans. Within the confines of the law of course. Snapper season opens today so say Good by Im out of here with spear guns in hand.

2 years ago I too lost a lot of weight, from near 300 to 220 by watching what I eat and walking 4 to 5 miles a day or riding my bike 15 to 17 miles. At 300 my family was very uncomfortable with diving, now they are very supportive. Ps now try to swim 3/4 of a mile 2 to 3 times a week.

Last edited:
One other thing that was not mentioned was nitrox. I am curious what people think as to what impact, if any, nitrox use might have on cardiac risk.

A comment on Nitrox. This was one recommendation that my Dr. made. He said he wasn't sure it would limit the stress on my cardio system but felt it might be of assistance. I'm one who feels much less fatigued when I use Nitrox and take an extended (5 min) safety stop. Psychological maybe, who cares, I feel less fatigued and more ready for the second dive.

My basic rules are:
No Deco -- Not even close
Extend my Safety Stop
Dive Nitrox but set computer to air
Dive in Warm Water
Do what I can to stay active and in shape

As a 66-year old diver, I take the following precautions:
  • If my dive plan calls for depths between 200 and 300 feet, I try not to schedule more than one other dive that day.
  • On decompression dives, I set my GF high at 70 in order to extend my last stops on oxygen.
  • I use nitrox for most NDL dives, and I set my computer for the exact mix I am using.
  • On NDL dives, I avoid any intermediate stops that will unnecessarily increase nitrogen loading in my slower tissues.
  • On NDL dives, I extend my safety stop to 5 minutes.
  • On NDL dives, if I have an AL 40 with O2 hanging around, I will sometimes take it with me and do the safety stop on O2.
  • When diving in cold water, I make sure to wear suitable dry suit undergarments.
Other than those steps, I pretty much don't make any changes.

A comment on Nitrox. This was one recommendation that my Dr. made. He said he wasn't sure it would limit the stress on my cardio system but felt it might be of assistance. I'm one who feels much less fatigued when I use Nitrox and take an extended (5 min) safety stop. Psychological maybe, who cares, I feel less fatigued and more ready for the second dive.

My basic rules are:
No Deco -- Not even close
Extend my Safety Stop
Dive Nitrox but set computer to air
Dive in Warm Water
Do what I can to stay active and in shape
This is what I do, exactly how I dive now. Every item you list. The only addition I make is a depth limit of about 80 feet, usually less.

I'm 74, did my first scuba dive when I was 17 with borrowed equipment and an instruction book. I have been snorkeling since I was 8 years old, when mom was able to find me a mask.

There are many kinds of diving I no longer do, but the easiest dives are usually the most fun anyway. I do a lot of solo diving so I can set my own schedule and parameters. In any event, I consider all diving solo diving, in the final analysis, and I generally feel safer on my own. When traveling to tropical destinations I find myself going to the same places over and again, because they know me. Otherwise the DOB on my C card can cause all sorts of awkwardness.

I was certified when I was 22, about when dive shops began requiring a C card before they'd fill your tanks. The picture on my C card is that of a 22 year old me. For some reason I refuse to update it. Maybe it's because a lot of young people seem to think that, just as they will be young forever, I was always an old guy.

Staying active and in the best physical condition possible is crucial. A half century of diving and I've never had a serious problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom