Diving Safely as We Age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Don't know if this will help anyone, but I just wrote an article for Pacific Northwest Diver called Diving Safely as We Age.

In the Pacific Northwest we have had a number of fatalities involving divers over 50 in the past few months. Got me thinking about my dive protocols and how they have changed over the years, were any of these death's preventable, and what are best diving practices as we age.

http://www.pnwdiver.com/uploads/4/6/9/0/46901173/2016_winter_pnwdiver_2.pdf, page 14.

Dan

Thank you Dan. It's a thought provoking article. As a 52 year old diver who regularly dives deep on air, it's something that I am aware of, but you have codified it very succinctly!
Nikhil

a man has got to know his limitations! on a recent boat a 50+ diver was busy teaching me about some dive stuff and how the limits are to conservative and "weenie". Now i'm 57, an instructor and a tec diver/instructor and my first dive was 1978. i just ignored him and was prepared to recover his body. As we get older the one thing i learn is that i can still learn new stuff and that i do not know everything (close though :))

Interesting article. I am 67 and I still do short deco dives down to 40 m ( 120 feet ).

I exercice - walking every second day - have a regular cardiac check up. What I changed in my diving schedule: Never dive in water less than 24°C ( 75°F), dive close to my buddy, almost no finning, never fight current, regular hydration, safer computor algorythm, no effort between dives.

I'm only 33 years old but my instructor/great friend/ dive master / dive buddy is 76 years young he has taught me everything I know with scuba and he has taught me one of the most valuable lessons ever don't be afraid to call a dive and dive your limits he also he doesn't go much deeper then 80ft anymore he will on occasion but not often he has also taught me to relax and not work hard while diving and to also stop take a few minutes to calm yourself if feeling anxious or excited

7 years young ................................TYPO?

That's what I tought, Thank you :)

Interesting about water temperature. Living in the Northwest and diving in BC and Alaska, water temps are 45-55 F. Colder in rivers and lakes. Dry suits, steel tanks, and 36 lbs of weight.

Always nice to dive tropical, but temperate diving is my favorite by far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom