Diving Redneck Reef on sunday 7/17/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Hey, Looney Bird, Linda and I are going to try to make it Sunday afternoon. I want to see that B/P in action!

the K
Great, I hope to see you out there. I wont have the BP in action yet, but the STA will be. Heather and I are going to the pool at sea ventures in the morning at around 11:00, I need to get my tanks filled and she wants to get some practice in before she hits the lake. I know you said you might go out there too, so I hope to see you at the pool .

Leaving to go to the lake, will post a report when I return.

We got out to redneck reef today at 3:45, the kraken showed up at around 4:15. The weather was perfect, not to hot with a nice breeze. We met some other divers out there that just came out of the water just as we were going in, and they told us the direction to go to see the lawn art that is in the water. The art is located just off the third shallow water marker at a compass heading of 240 deg., at 13-15'. It is quite a surface swim out to the third marker, about 100-150 yards. The kraken, heather, and I had a great dive out there, water temp was 82 deg., and there was 8-10 ft viz. Not to bad for the amount of boat traffic that was out there, although it did feel like they were going right over your head at times. The surface was a little choppy, and at 6-8 ft down it felt like you were drift diving. 23' was our max depth, and the thermocline was at 15-18' which droped down to the mid 70's. Our dive time was around 63 min., and average depth was around 15'. The art that is out there is spread out, you have to swim a good distance between pieces. There was a bird bath, a frog, a lighthouse, a goose with his head missing, a mushroom, a gargoile, and some pigs. Im not sure we seen everything that was down there, but we got to find a good bit. Also there were lots of juvinile fish swimming around the rock formations out there, even seen a nice size catfish hiding in a hole. All in all, it was a great dive, I would like to go out there again sometime soon.

Kyle

The visibility was really good compared with other sections of the lake, especially since we were diving later in the afternoon without direct overhead sunlight.

Gotta tell ya, KP is happier than a virgin in a house of ill repute with respect to his DIY HID light. He did a good job on that thing. Didn't leak a drop. I guess his next test will be a significantly greater pressures.

Heather, his wife, seemed to have had a good time too.

There are good dives, and there are fun dives . . . . this was a good, fun dive!!!

the K

Glad to hear you all had fun. That's what it's all about! I will be heading back to Julliette this weekend if the weather holds out.

Jeremy

The Kraken:
There are good dives, and there are fun dives . . . . this was a good, fun dive!!!

the K
I agree totatly, cant wait to do it again.

JKSteger:
Glad to hear you all had fun. That's what it's all about! I will be heading back to Julliette this weekend if the weather holds out.

Jeremy
Let me know what day and time, I might be able to come down for a dive.

kylepreid:
Come on out, we would love to have you dive with us. I havent dove redneck reef yet, this will be my first time too. The reason it is called redneck reef is that there is a bunch of lawn art sunk at about 30' straight out from the ramp at the day use area. I dont plan on going very deep, im only bringing my 3mm, so I want to try and stay above the thermocline. Hope to see you out there.[/QUOTE

Sorry I could not make it. I had something come up out of town Sat. night. Thanks for the invite though and let me know when you may dive in the future.

KP,
Just got the pics back. "Bad" would be a polite euphamism. Even though we thought the visibility was pretty good, the camera didn't.

Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom