Diving recreational depths w/o computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil:
That's a stretch, IMO. Using tables you have to watch your depth and monitor your time with a watch or timer. Using a computer you have to monitor your time and depth by looking at the computer. I fail to see where either of those is quantitatively different from the other unless having to watch two devices instead of one is "engaging your brain".

Following a computer is like watching TV. It's not engaging anything. Understanding what's going on and then checking your computer or bottom timer does engage your brain.

GC,
You forgot the famous words of my friend Pug - "Computers will rot your brain.":D

Another vote for good planning and tables usage. Oh...and good common sense.

OE2X:
GC,
You forgot the famous words of my friend Pug - "Computers will rot your brain.":D

I didn't forget. I just don't like to repeat it.

I borrow, pick, and chose but never quote or follow :D

gcbryan:
Following a computer is like watching TV. It's not engaging anything. Understanding what's going on and then checking your computer or bottom timer does engage your brain.

I am sorry, that is a very specious argument and holds no water. I run Decoplanner tables & can mod my profile on the fly u/w, but using a computer suddenly makes me forget it suddenly???

A table and a computer are both "black box" devices which give you a readout without telling you anything about the details of what is going on inside. One requires a bit more manual work. Arguing that using a table or a computer affcts your knowledge of what is going makes no logical sense whatsoever - what, the computer uses the Force and switches off my brain?

I humbly posit that if someone tends to switch their brain off with a computer, the problem is with them - not their choice of computer.

But this is getting into the oh-so-original "table vs computer" thread, which was not my intent in asking this question. I wanted to know specific, individual reasons for why people are using tables for recreational profiles - not that recycled generic hash about "mindless computer usage".

Now, if someone were to specifically say that they use tables b/c they tend to switch their brain off with a computer, that's a different story. But in this world of scuba perfection that is SB, I dont think that would happen, would it?

Vandit

Vandit

No - but reliance does.

vkalia:
I am sorry, that is a very specious argument and holds no water. I run Decoplanner tables & can mod my profile on the fly u/w, but using a computer suddenly makes me forget it suddenly???

A table and a computer are both "black box" devices which give you a readout without telling you anything about the details of what is going on inside. One requires a bit more manual work. Arguing that using a table or a computer affcts your knowledge of what is going makes no logical sense whatsoever - what, the computer uses the Force and switches off my brain?

I humbly posit that if someone tends to switch their brain off with a computer, the problem is with them - not their choice of computer.

But this is getting into the oh-so-original "table vs computer" thread, which was not my intent in asking this question. I wanted to know specific, individual reasons for why people are using tables for recreational profiles - not that recycled generic hash about "mindless computer usage".

Now, if someone were to specifically say that they use tables b/c they tend to switch their brain off with a computer, that's a different story. But in this world of scuba perfection that is SB, I dont think that would happen, would it?

Vandit

Vandit

I think you are just arguing with yourself. If you can mod your profile on the fly nowhere did I suggest that using a computer would make your forget it suddenly. I didn't say anything about blinding following tables either.

Well, it is implied in that argument that using computers doesnt engage the brain whereas using tables means understanding what is going on, isnt it? Besides, one perk of arguing with myself is that I win all my arguments.

Regardless, I am back to my original question - those of you who do use tables, why do *you* use them?

Vandit

For rec dives I just use the tables and a slate...

vkalia:
Well, it is implied in that argument that using computers doesnt engage the brain whereas using tables means understanding what is going on, isnt it? Besides, one perk of arguing with myself is that I win all my arguments.

Of course the downside is that you also lose all of your arguments as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom