Diving places in Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBARACER

Reaction score
Ok divers! Is there anywhere to dive in Austin besides Lake Travis/Austin?

I always thought it would be cool to dive Barton Springs pool, but would the park authorities at Zilker have an issue with this?

Does anyone know of anyplaces here in town?

SCUBARACER once bubbled...
Ok divers! Is there anywhere to dive in Austin besides Lake Travis/Austin?

Is there any diving at Town Lake, or is that totally out of the question? I've seen a variety of water sports there, but I can never remember seeing any divers going in or coming out of the water.

I think there is too much Hydrilla there, and you would get caught and end up tangled or something.

It would probably be a good place to test out a "Dive Tool"

I dive Travis & Aquarena all the time, but I don't think theres much else thats reasonable.

I've been in Inks Lake - vis runs about 2 ft on a good day and the bottom is sandy and not very interesting. I suspect that the smaller lakes are like that and/or have hydrilla all over.

I've seen pictures of folks at Barton Springs - but they were always Park Authority folks!

I've also heard of people diving the caves in the Hill COuntry - but you'ld need to be a serious caver - AND [in my opinio] a litttle bit crazy!

Where are these caves in the hill country you speak of?

I would like to go and check them out, but I'm not experienced enough to go dive 'em, i just wanna see em!

I know this is an old thread. I was just at Barton Springs last weekend. It would be great to dive there. Does anyone know now if it can be done?

I saw pictures of people snorkeling there..

We checked into diving Barton Springs pool back in the 80's and were told "No". Don't know if the ideaology has changed. Inks and Lake LBJ are mudholes. Lake Buchanan might be possible. I have been striper fishing there and wondered about diving there myself. However, it would be altitude diving, so altitude precautions would apply.

Use "San Marcos Area Recovery Team" as a key word. I think you'll find these people at the apex of cave diving in Texas.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom