Diving Phuket in late August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfucochan

New
Reaction score
Anybody know if the conditions will be good around that time? I hear it's monsoon season and visibility is crap. Any recommended shops/sites? Also where else in Asia is good to dive? I've heard mix things about Vietnam. I hear Phillapines are nice. Also some parts near Bali. Thanks for the advice.

jfucochan:
Anybody know if the conditions will be good around that time? I hear it's monsoon season and visibility is crap.
Hi,

The monsoon season is a myth. People hear the word monsoon and assume constant rain, storms, fire and brimstone. The word just refers to the wind, which from (approximately) mid May - October blows from the south west, across the indian ocean, so you get more rain than November - April. That's all. It is very rare that the weather is really bad. In August you will get plenty of good weather, the vis will be normal, and there are day trips every day to Racha Yai, Shark Point, and regular trips to Phi Phi including overnight trips.

Enjoy your diving!

As said above you should be fine at that time of year.

There are thousands of places to dive in Asia, have a look at the link below to see listings of divesites.

Just an FYI about visibility... A crappy day in Phuket, you can see 5-10 meters and enough fish and marine life to distract you from the first breath. and you might get a dive site with just 10 or more divers, as compared to peak season where hundreds dropped in to share with you...

If you can deal with the boat ride in the East Coast of the US, the boat rides during the monsoon in Phuket is just a few bounces. Besides, the water temp is in the high 80s F, and your hotel & food can be less than 40 bucks a day... Let us know if you need any suggestions!

I'm heading to Phuket in Early september (sept 3 - 11) and am glad to read these posts. will be doing my advanced course there, and I'm hoping to at least double my logged dive count (currently at 9).

thanks for the info...

Z...

...why don't take the boat south to Koh Lantah? It is a very pleasurable place as well (more backpack orientated than package tourist) with plenty of diveshops in main town Saladan. It is also closer to Red Rock / Purple Rock (hin daeng, look it up in the travelogue section at www.asiandiver.com) which was a really good dive when I was there last November prior to the tsunami. It is only an hour sail from phi phi dive spots which i did not find particularly fantastic - not sure what is left of it now though.

have fun -Arie

Both the divesites at Phi Phi and Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are completely undamaged and offer some excellent diving. Of all the sites in the area, I personally prefer Hin Daeng/Muang.

stevenl:
Both the divesites at Phi Phi and Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are completely undamaged and offer some excellent diving. Of all the sites in the area, I personally prefer Hin Daeng/Muang.
I can support that - was there from Feb-Apr and saw all the divesites in the area - no damage at all, and many of the big fish had returned compare to the season prior tsunami.
But I wouldn´t recommend Lanta for Sept/Oct - most of the diveshops closed and conditions at least difficult.
I left April 13th, and the last dives at Hin Daeng were nice - but very bad viz and currents - there is at least some monsoon, sometimes.
Phuket is the better choice for these two months because the busineses there stay open.

Back
Top Bottom