Diving Other than Monterey--Lakes, Rivers, Ponds, Bathtubs, What're the Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm living in the foothills right now, a 4 hour drive from Monterey, so am looking for dive sites in between Sacramento and Tahoe. Any spots worth going to?

The Feather River salmon dive is worth it. Talk to 3D Diver :wink: Although it has come and gone...

Berkeley = Foothills? :D

There really is no comparison from lakes to the ocean. Tahoe is fun for about one dive. Most lakes are the same unless you can find a reason to dive like cleanups etc.

The Feather River salmon dive is worth it. Talk to 3D Diver :wink: Although it has come and gone...

Exactly...and Raftingtigger organized that dive. She's also organised Tahoe outings and other fresh water dives in the Sacramento areal.

American River at Negro State Bar in Folsom, Rainbow Bridge, Folsom Lake, and there are a few lakes further up if you're into collecting crawdads. You never know what you might find at Negro State Bar, my dive partner and I found a Shakespeare ugly stick rod and shimano reel, hubcap, mask and snorkel, and other "underwater treasures." Mainly we brought bags after bags of trash out... A local diver told us how he found a couple gopro's and a few ray-bans the day before we went diving. Negro State Bar is shallow, but an ok area to get a dive in if you're in the area and can't make it to the ocean.

Rainbow Bridge, nice structure can get to about 45 ffw. Negro bar... no structure, no deeper that about 22 ffw.

I have dove Tahoe once, it was very clear and very brown.

I have also dove at Sugar Pine resevoir and had decent visibility. Large crawdads, some trout.

There really is no comaparrison to the ocean. Brown and boring or color and lots of life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom