Diving Operator near Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for an operator near the Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen the first week of August. I will only be able to dive 1 or 2 days total.

I am going for a wedding, so not much free time on the 5 day trip.

I would like to dive the caverns/cenotes if I only get one place to go. Does anyone think it would be better to dive something else instead if I only get one day to dive? I have never been to Cancun before, so I am not too familiar with what is there.

So, if anyone has a top 1 or 2 locations to dive there and/or an operator I should use, that would be great.

Thanks...

You HAVE to check out the cenotes! Nobody is better than Armando at Scubacenote. Scuba Cenote : Riviera Maya : Yucatan Cenote Diving : Dos Ojos

In Playa, check out Phantom Divers. I've dove with them many times and had a great time each time. I love Turtle Island for a relaxing drift dive as I see many turtles.

You can also cross over on the ferry to Cozumel and dive with Studio Blue and do a wall dive.

Lots of choices, but with your limited time, you can't miss cenotes with Armando!

I just got back from Playa two weeks ago. I found the reef very disappointing. The cenotes were great. If you can't get over to Coz and dive from there, then you might as well spend two days in the cenotes. Also the reef off Akumal might be in better shape if that is a possibility within your time frame.

As a wise ScubaBoard member once told me 'Cenotes, Cenotes, Cenotes'.

I think I have the time to do two days of diving. I will spend one day at the cenotes and one day diving on the reef. I should take the second day and go to Cozumel, right? Any suggestions as to what places or operators are best in Cozumel? Is there a good operator I could combine the cenotes and Cozumel dives together with?

If you are taking your own gear, do Coz first and use the cenote dive as a fresh water rinse. May be able to do the cenote on your decomp day before flying home, depends on the cenote.

I wouldn't bother with Cozumel - much over-rated. Spend both days in the cenotes. An excellent dive center in Playa is Protec (no connection to my business).

I just got back from Playa two weeks ago. I found the reef very disappointing. The cenotes were great. If you can't get over to Coz and dive from there, then you might as well spend two days in the cenotes. Also the reef off Akumal might be in better shape if that is a possibility within your time frame.

As a wise ScubaBoard member once told me 'Cenotes, Cenotes, Cenotes'.

Not a chance, the shallow reef is still ok, but the middle and outer reefs are in sad shape. Too much algae, not enough current, and too much fishing, about the only thing left are the morays.

I don't know if I would call Coz overrated. Not the best, but the walls are pretty impressive. Personally, I prefer to stay in the caves. If you want to do both, I had good luck w/ Yucatek. I did a day of reef diving w/ them on an off day during my cave training. They have a great staff and they do cenotes as well.

Back
Top Bottom