Diving off small fishing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even when I install the Roll Control I will stay occasionally have tanks on my deck loose. I have a couple of double rigs to deal with. These cannot be taken apart but the good thing is that they do not tend to roll around. I will wedge them up front. Open center console boats are great for diving but they do lack storage space so this is something you will have to deal with. For warm weather areas they are hard to beat for versatility.
I am not sure what your experience level with boats or diving is so just let me say--do not anchor the boat and then leave it unwatched on the surface. If the anchor breaks free your boat may leave without you! Someone needs to remain on board for watch duty. Also, if there is any current run yourself a stern line and make sure it is visibly marked so other boat traffic does not entangle it.

A single tank on a back plate will stay put pretty well just laying
on the deck. I do that when I have a full load.

With a boat the size of mine (17') it isn't practical to leave someone
on board. First order of business for me when I hit the bottom is to
check the anchor.

av8er23:
Thanks for the tip Hank. How long is your boat? I am guessing that the water is pretty calm for the most part in Belize (is that where you have the boat)?

Mine is 22 ft. We get pretty choppy water more times than not. We're on an east facing coast with predominant NE trade winds. About half the time I'm only running 16-20 mph due to chop. Sometimes less. The boat in my avatar is exactly like mine taken here in Belize on a calm day.

Chuck Tribolet:
A single tank on a back plate will stay put pretty well just laying
on the deck. I do that when I have a full load.

With a boat the size of mine (17') it isn't practical to leave someone
on board. First order of business for me when I hit the bottom is to
check the anchor.

So you basically check and make sure that it is secure against a rock or other structure?

Hank or Chuck...do you guys have any speakers mounted on your tower above the center console? I have been looking for some on the net but I am only finding them on these wakeboard sites that have them priced 300 bucks and up. Do yall have any recommendations? I will not be putting an external amp on them. Simply just hooking them up to the radio that has been purchased for the boat.

av8er23:
So you basically check and make sure that it is secure against a rock or other structure?

I have a Danforth. First choice is sand. The harder the boat pulls, the deeper it
burries itself. Second choice is a lip of solid rock Third choice is anything solid or
heavy looking.

Be sure to put out enough scope that if it drags into deeper water it won't be dangling.
I know one site where I anchor in a nice sand patch at 90'. 50' north of there,
its 180' deep. I put out about 250' of scope there, even when it's flat.

Depth markers on the anchor rode are a good idea.

A few years ago somebody on ba_diving did a night dive off the Monterey Breakwater
when there was a S wind (from shore to offshore). The took their dog with them.
They anchored and went diving, leaving Fido on the boat. When they surfaced, the
boat way off to the north. They swam into the beach, and convinced some dog-loving
Coast Guardsmen to run them out their inflatable because they were really worried
about the dog ending up in Kamchatka. When they got to the boat, the dog was
sound asleep. ;-)

Chuck Tribolet:
I have a Danforth. First choice is sand. The harder the boat pulls, the deeper it
burries itself. Second choice is a lip of solid rock Third choice is anything solid or
heavy looking.

Be sure to put out enough scope that if it drags into deeper water it won't be dangling.
I know one site where I anchor in a nice sand patch at 90'. 50' north of there,
its 180' deep. I put out about 250' of scope there, even when it's flat.

Depth markers on the anchor rode are a good idea.

A few years ago somebody on ba_diving did a night dive off the Monterey Breakwater
when there was a S wind (from shore to offshore). The took their dog with them.
They anchored and went diving, leaving Fido on the boat. When they surfaced, the
boat way off to the north. They swam into the beach, and convinced some dog-loving
Coast Guardsmen to run them out their inflatable because they were really worried
about the dog ending up in Kamchatka. When they got to the boat, the dog was
sound asleep. ;-)

I am surprised you leave your boat unattended when diving. Up until a year ago I did the same, following similar procedures to ensure the anchor was secure, etc. I have since realized it is not a worthwhile risk. If you're diving sites where you could survive a swim to shore that is one thing. If you are 15 miles out that is just insanity in my opinion. I would definitenly not suggest others do it. Find another buddy who enjoys solo diving and you are good to go. I added laminated step by step instructions to the helm for starting the engine, how to pick up a diver, hailing the CG, reading printed GPS coordinates, etc. I also train the guests using these procedures.

--Matt

av8er23:
Hank or Chuck...do you guys have any speakers mounted on your tower above the center console? I have been looking for some on the net but I am only finding them on these wakeboard sites that have them priced 300 bucks and up. Do yall have any recommendations? I will not be putting an external amp on them. Simply just hooking them up to the radio that has been purchased for the boat.

My boat's too wet. And I can listen to music at home. That's me though. I also use two anchors in a "V" pattern off the bow, tied to different cleats on the boat. I don't anchor deep most of the time and I dive down and sink them into the sand really well. Hooking to a rock is not good, especially if you're solo. How do you get it off? In strong winds it's hard to manage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom