Diving off small fishing boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My dad just purchased a 23' fishing boat to keep in Panama City Beach, FL. I was considering diving off of it in the bay and probably in the ocean. The only thing that has come to my mind is that I need a tank rack. I can construct one of those out of wood. Are there any major considerations that I need to be aware of?

av8er23:
My dad just purchased a 23' fishing boat to keep in Panama City Beach, FL. I was considering diving off of it in the bay and probably in the ocean. The only thing that has come to my mind is that I need a tank rack. I can construct one of those out of wood. Are there any major considerations that I need to be aware of?

Definitely nice to have but you don't need one. My boat is a cruiser by design but a cruiser/dive boat in terms of use so I opt to strategically lay the tanks on the floor such that they don't move. The rack will add weight and if not secured properly the opportunity for a tank to fall. That being said I would love a light/secure tank rack system for my boat. I can't think of a convenient place to keep it without ruining the cruising comforts.

--Matt

I would say that you should be very mindful of the weather and the chop.
Getting back on board a large dive boat is one thing, getting back aboard a small fishing boat is another.

Other than that, I guess if it floats and can get ya out and back it's OK.

the K

You can get the "Roll Control" racks cheaply. Look on ebay etc. I am going to invest in some soon for my Whaler. I imagine what your calling a "fishing boat" is some sort of offshore center console type boat. These are also excellent family and ski and water sports and all that type boats and they are roomy as well. If it is a "bay boat" perhaps they are not so good for offshore. They have less draft, less freeboard and are meant for exploring shallow water.
In any case, thus far I have been laying the tanks in the forward deck of my 19 foot offshore center console Boston Whaler. They can bounce around up there when I go airborne so I am all for securing stuff.

Have fun, take only memories, leave only bubbles!!

N

The Kraken:
I would say that you should be very mindful of the weather and the chop.
Getting back on board a large dive boat is one thing, getting back aboard a small fishing boat is another.

Other than that, I guess if it floats and can get ya out and back it's OK.

the K

Yea, this is certain another consideration. I am quite concerned with the securing of tanks. I do not want to damage the brand new boat. By the way it is a center console.

av8er23:

Getting back on.

You should also have a radio, O2 on board and and well equipped first aid kit.

R..

The Roll Control tank racks would be a good choice. They have
tank clips that fold down out of the way, or the tank clips can
be removed and replaced other accessories like rod holders. See

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

for pictures of how I set up a 17' Center Console.

You'll need VHF and depth finder (but so will dad).
You'll need a dive flag.

It will already be equipped with a GPS with sonar and depth, first aid kit, and I already have a dive flag. Those roll control tand racks are nice but i am not sure dad will go for that on his new boat (he does not dive).

av8er23:
It will already be equipped with a GPS with sonar and depth, first aid kit, and I already have a dive flag. Those roll control tand racks are nice but i am not sure dad will go for that on his new boat (he does not dive).

My boat is very similar to what you're describing. (like this one in my avatar) I can easily stash 4-6 tanks under seats or in the stern behind me. Put them between gear bags and wetsuits and fins so they don't roll. Hook one up to each BCD. They ride pretty good that way. If you're in chop though, they do better in the stern where it's not so bouncy. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom