Diving Northern Palm Beach County Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello. Im a newly certified NAUI diver and got certified through the academic diving program we have here at the University of Florida. Im going back home to South Florida this next week and am looking to dive around the Jupiter and Palm Beach Inlet area. Can anybody give me some advice as to where there are some good diving spots in this area? I've fished everywhere around there but never dived. I've heard of a few places but I was hoping some of you here might also know of some. Thanks!

There are a lot of dive operators down there. Call around and see. I know of some good sites around Jupiter FL. There are seven wrecks in a row,.............and a nice current.... awsome drift dive

Well, the thing is that i dont need to go on a charter boat cause my father has his own boat and i dont need all the equipment, i have booties-fins-wetsuit-mask-weight belt-dive knife... just need to rent a BC/Tank/Reg. So with that said... any places that you guys might know of without paying to go on a charter boat??

hey,
there are TONS of dive sites in the area. luckily we are home to some of the best diving around. try this site
http://www.forcee.com/dive_sites/boat_diving_sites/boat_diving_sites.shtml

Force E is a great dive shop in the area and this site has some GPS numbers to local dive sites, www.forcee.com click dive sites at the top and select boat or wreck or whatever dive sites u want and plug in the coordinates

You may also want to visit a local dive shop and buy one of the guide books. I bought one for about $20 with numbers to dive sites from jupiter south to hollywood and i love it. The GPS numbers are dead on (i threw my anchor in a hole in the side of a shipwreck once) and the descriptions are great. good luck

Before going out on your own in your father's boat, you ought to consider going out with one of the good charter operators first, so you'll get a good picture of what drift diving, properly done, is about. www.puravidadivers.com hasn't been mentioned and is a good one in Palm Beach, on Fisher Island.

If you know about drift diving, skip the below. But if not, the real trick is keeping the boat above the drifting divers. The divers have to drift with the Gulf stream current, and the boat follows them, rather than anchoring. Usually this is done with a divemaster in the water trailing a surface buoy, the more foolproof method. Divers follow DM, boat follows buoy, so surfacing divers end up near the boat. The no-buoy method relies on the boat capt following bubbles, or having a good instinct where the drifting divers are, and having good eyes to spot them if they surface far away. Either way, divers should carry a marker buoy, surface sausage, whistle, signal mirror, and if diving late in the day, a personal strobe light.

In my limited experience, the West Palm Beach operators use the DMs and buoys, the Jupiter operators, who tend to cater to a bit more advanced clientelle, don't, they just look for you when you surface and signal "okay" to them, and you wait for them to get around to you.

So if you're new to diving, and your father (or whoever's going to be in the boat) is new to drift diving, take a look at the pros first is my suggestion.

I second Jupiter Dive Charters and Scuba Works... been out with them 3-4 times and always saw a bunch of large turtles and nurse sharks...

D.

Dive the Delray Ledges- by far the best dive I've had in that area, although I have never a really bad dive there. For a wreck the Captain Tony is a great first wreck dive. It's shallower and smaller than the Castor and others. Get a chart or GPS numbers from any LDS.

Keep in mind that the reef dives are drift dives. The current is always present and can get pretty strong. That means that someone is on the boat following your float ball. Make sure the person on the boat knows what he/she is doing. Two peple got into trouble there a few months ago and the boat operator had no idea what to do. Both died. Also there is A LOT of boat traffic so always come up next to the float ball.

I really like diving the Jupiter /WPB area. You won't be disappointed, just be safe.

Thank you all for the great responses. I had a great first dive here back home. We got our equipment from Force-E and the equip. was great. We did our first dive at the Breakers in about 65 feet of water..it was nice. The second dive though was INCREDIBLE. We dove down to about 65-70 feet and found the "Research Team Barge" without GPS, depth gauge or anything. It was about a mile offshore and a mile north of the Palm Beach Inlet. We had a book on where the wreck was but not GPS equipment or anything else. We got lucky and had a great dive. There was a 300lb + Jew Fish that was a resident of the barge along with some very large cudas and some nice sea turtles lurking around. We did take a buoy with us so my father could make sure he was always close by even thou the current underneath was nothing like most people speak of. I've heard the current is really bad but really it wasnt in both spots. We toured around really with no problems except the current was a little stronger at the wreck but not enough to do a drift dive really. It wasnt strong anough not to fight it either. I havent had experience in drift diving but I believe we played it safe and came across no problems. I am curious thou as to the member who said there were two divers who died in this area because they ran into trouble and something involving the operator of the boat. What exactally happened?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom