Diving North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, My family is considering a family vacation to North Carolina (outerbanks) this summer which we would book soon. I dive with my dad, and since I realize that almost all the wrecks are deeper than 60 feet, we we strongly considering taking the AOW class before the trip, also to get more comfortable. We got certified last July and all our diving has been local so, atleast for us Minnesotans, diving in the Atlantic is a step up... So far I dont know anything about clubs, etc. I have gone and looked at descriptions of all the wrecks, and so on, however, literally suggestions of any kind would be appreciated!:D

Thanks again - Cheers

We got certified last July and all our diving has been local so, at least for us Minnesotans, diving in the Atlantic is a step up...

Diving the Atlantic CAN be a step up for most folks...! I dive the Atlantic quite a bit and the trouble is the unpredictability! You can be going out in dead flat seas (does not happen often) and then by the time you hit the surface from you dive your trying to figure how to get back into the boat and the swells hit 4-8' and better...

Not a scare; just letting you know! I know folks do there AOW (with 10 dives to their name) on the wrecks off NC/SC but I think you should have experience diving before taking on the Atlantic... I was one of those folks with less than 20 dives and diving on a really poor day and had little to no problem but my wife on the other hand; not a happy camper... :( She lived through it but has not dove off NC since! Again, most times its fine but it can get bad in a hurry. Know how to get back on the boat before jumping in! Heck of a time to learn in bad seas... and watch out for that ladder, could loose a mouth full of teeth!

I can not be much help for the outer banks but if you find yourself in the Wilmington area well, the Hyde is a pretty good dive to cut your teeth on and in the summer will have the Sand Tigers around. Mean looking shark but non-aggressive. Little to no current and usually pretty good vis...

Welcome to the sport and trust you and your dad will have fond memories on NC when you leave... at least the diving! :)

lee

Welcome to NC. The AOW is a great idea, also consider the Deep Diver and Wreck Diver specialties to bolster your knowlege and abilities. AOW I believe is an introductory to other specialties that you may want to consider as you advance yourselves in the scuba lifestyle/community. Welcome to the sport, very addicting place to be, be safe and respectful of you abilities, take time developing your skills.

Not only are our wrecks deep but most of the time they are 2 or more hours off shore, so plan on being on the boat for at least 6 to 7 hours. Nitrox is well worth the cost however being relatively new divers, odds are you will go through your tank way before you hit your NDLs. Half the boat a lovely shade of green is not uncommon. Also, do not expect any kind of DM or guide (unless you hire one, which is a good idea). Unlike tourist locations that hold your hand, we dive here. YOU are responsible for all your gear, your dive plan and getting back to the boat, our ops provide a boat ride and a dive brief. Speaking of gear, you should have a large SMB (the little 3 ftrs are not worth much in 6 ft seas) and a whisle as a minimum. If you have to come up off the anchor line, you will want to be seen.

It's somewhat of a long ride but taking the ferry down to Morehead City for a day or 2 might be a good idea. There are some closer in novice wrecks there that are better suited for you. Take the ferry down, stay in the dive op bunkhouse and dive the close in wrecks, not a bad way to spend some time with your dad away from the ladies.

Make sure you check with the charter company for their diver requirements when you book the dives. They vary by operator and the type of dive.

This is great diving. I made my first trip last summer and have signed up for a repeat trip this year. It is unique and unlike anything I had done before, much more advanced than any of my previous diving.

I recommend you complete your AOW before the trip for sure. Nitrox is also a good idea.

Since this will all be new, you might consider getting your Deep Diver cert on your first NC dives. This way you will have personal instruction the first time you go out.

I dive with my dad, and since I realize that almost all the wrecks are deeper than 60 feet, we we strongly considering taking the AOW class before the trip, also to get more comfortable.
A good idea. However, as several others have suggested, it will still not fully prepare you for ocean diving, irresepctive of depth. In part, the only way to prepare is to do it.

In general, the better wrecks, at least in terms of visibility, are a bit deeper, (~100+ft range). On a clear viz day, in the summer, in the Gulf Stream, you can have a phenomenal dive, not even notice you are at 100ft. But, you can also dive the same wreck on two different days and have a completely different experience. As several have said, there is a definite element of unpredictability that's not good or bad, it is just what it is.

Three suggestions: 1) Do the AOW as you are considering, and if you can add a Deep certification, do it as well. Won't hurt. Won't fully prepare you for saltwater diving, but operators - depending on who you go out with - may treat you differently if you show training / experience at depth; 2) consider your equipment needs - Herman already mentioned a 6ft SMB and whistle (which I endorse), personally, I suggest that people going of the coast on deeper wrecks carry a redundant air supply - pony bottle, not SpareAir; 3) once you have booked your trip, and know where you will be staying, when you will be in NC, you will probably be able to get more specific suggestions, about wrecks, operators, etc; Post your plans in this thread and you will get more input, and possibly even be able to link up with someone on SB who will be diving off the OBX that week.

Go ahead take the 2 ferrys from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke then to Cedar Island drive to Morehead City. You and your dad are welcome to dive with us we are always going out 2 to 3 times a week April-October weather premitting got a few good spots we dive in the 60ft.range pleanty of fish life. All we ask is chip in for gas.Just give me call at 252-342-9278 thanks Charlie Styron

One thing I meant to mention is "Blow outs"... Last year, there were more blowouts due to weather than times they actually got out; ok, maybe a little bit exaggerated but I don't think by much! I am pretty sure the weekends were tough for the dive charters... I dive the ledges and had more trips canceled due to weather than I can shake a stick at so be prepared to lose a day or two of diving due to the weather... You may not but then again, you may...!

Pony tanks are not required here in NC but I will not dive the Meg Ledges without one nor will I take anyone to the ledges without one. Diving the wrecks would depend on depth and my dive buddies experience, maybe a pony and maybe not. I will say this, I have handed off my pony more times than I care to say diving NC...!!!

lee

If you decide to do your AOW in NC do not let the instructor combine a wreck dive and deep dive to count as one dive. What you will learn for each dive, or should learn anyway, are two separate skill sets.

Good advise on the ponies and SMB's, I'm glad someone brought it up for you to think about. Last year we rented the bottles from our LDS, this year we will have our own. I personally don't do any diving without a SMB and would not do any of the deep dives without a pony.

Prepare yourself training and equipment wise then go and have fun. This is really great diving. We were on special charters through our LDS that included three dives per trip. We had two great days then were blown out on the third.

I was really disappointed because we were supposed to do a return trip to the Spar. I was so fascinated by the tons of sharks that I hardly looked at the wreck itself. I am really looking forward to our next trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom