Diving Nitrox with a air computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divrnr

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you dive Nitrox using a air computer(Orca Edge) does it increase your safety margin if you push the No Deco limits? I'm going to get nitrox cert'd but love the gas absorbtion graph of my Edge. I've seen DM's using air computers diving Nitrox and that's what they tell me. What do you guy's think? Thanks, Joe.

I'm no expert but common sense dictates this would increase your safety margin since the no deco bottom time is greater diving nitrox. Be sure to take the class as there are other hazards to be considered when using nitrox beyond the ones you are already aware of and the potential consequences are deadly.

Personally I use a stinger set in gauge mode for diving nitrox and have my brain set in EAD mode but adjusted for the EAN %.

You may want to get a nitrox computer however... if your plan is to use a computer to run your dive. Don't use an air computer for a nitrox dive unless you treat the dive as though it were on air and use the nitrox for a safety factor.

btw: EAN32 will give you a 20% EAD safety factor. You may or may not learn that in your Nitrox class depending on which one you take. For you Nitrox divers out there... check out your EAD tables or the formula and see if you come up with 20% for EAN32.

My LDS is TDI. Is that a good course? Or should I look elsewhere... Thanks guys, Joe.

Air computer for Nitrox?That means no O2 tracking info.Hate to see some poor fool dive 36% to 130'.Class +an appropriate computer would be much safer.Perhaps posting this to the Doc's would be a good idea to get the relative issues resolved?BTW my Oceanic went into O2 tracking mode after 3 days of diving this long weekend even tho I'd only dove nitrox 1/2 the dives.This means I was clocking up enough exposure to warrant a warning , an air computer would be oblivious to this.

You can dive Nitrox using Air computers. Just be careful not to go beyond the MOD of your mix! Be sure you get the traning first, that is if your not yet certified.

If you have extra cash, get a nitrox capable computer. You will be able to take full advantage of the mix. Most computers nowadays have Nitrox capability and doesnt cost that much as way back then.

I dive Nitrox and have a nitrox comp. computer. Most of the time I leave it in the air setting for increased safety in tissue loading. If you do this you must be very careful about max op depth. If I'm going to do greater than 70' I'll use the nitrox mode. This is just my way, and I'm not promoting anyone else use this style. Make sure you pay attention and ask questions in the class about anything you are not 100% sure on.

chuckrt

Originally posted by divrnr
My LDS is TDI. Is that a good course?

Definately. Check out:

Just Completed my TDI course

And to agree with everyone else... yes, you can dive with an air computer, but you have to watch your MOD and your O2 exposure times.

I would definately recommend you dive a nitrox computer, and if you want the safety margin, then dive a plan that is based on air tables.

I dive Nitrox and have a nitrox comp. computer. Most of the time I leave it in the air setting for increased safety in tissue loading.

I dive a nitrox computer and leave it in the nitrox mode all the time and just set the mix for 21% when I dive air. Although hard as hell to hit O2 exposure limits doing recreational diving, it is easy to watch your MOD with a nitrox computer.

Originally posted by O-ring
Although hard as hell to hit O2 exposure limits doing recreational diving

As long as your not running at 1.6 ATA PpO2, it's hard as hell yes... but with 39% at 100 fsw using US Navy tables, you'll exceed O2 exposure limits before exceeding NDL limits.

Back
Top Bottom