Diving near Vancouver in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaskier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Vancouver for my first time in Feb. 2012. Thinking about a day or two at Whistler for skiing, or some diving. Do people dive in February? I have a drysuit and have done 5 C/41 F dives.

No problem. Looking at my computer i see about 45F at the same time last year. Dive dry with some insulation. Depending on the day it might not even be that cold outside in between dives.

Make sure you ski first, dive later. No-fly rules apply when heading up to Whistler - especially if you are skiing.

That's when we get some of the best vizibility. Water temps 43-50 year round. Closer to the lower temps that time of year. There is a great dive park at Porteau cove on the way to whistler with 4 wrecks, I-beam, concrete, and tire reef. Protected marine park so no boats, fishing, or taking of any marine life. Depths from 30-100 fsw. Nice facilities too. Tons of life there including GPO's, huge ling cod, lots of nudibranchs, crab, shrimp, greenlings, warbonnets, etc. Wekends can be busy. Most of the wrecks are 55 fsw or less with the exception of the Nakaya that sits in 100~ at the sand depending on the tide. Typically no current to speak of. Whyteclife park is another popular spot just north of the city. Like Akirawut said Whistler is about 7500 ft at the top and 2200 ft at the village.

Good advice above for popular dive sites on the way to Whistler. Good viz and not so busy dive sites this time of year so a nice time to dive. Drysuits are the recommended form of protection this time of year, and it's good for new divers to the area to dive with experienced buddies or as part of an organized group.

Dive safe and have a great ski/dive vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom