Diving near Tokyo for cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillHarm

Registered
Reaction score
So... Im in the navy and will be stationed in Atsugi. So I need to know of any near by dive sites. Either shore or by kayak. It seems like most the good dive sites are north and south of Honshu. Please forgive me for if have have misspelled any cities in Japan. My wife and i are really looking forward to living there. We here there is good travel, and snowboarding to be done, but have not heard or read of any diving or kayaking there. Any info would be great.
thanks

Welcome to Japan.

I'm from Kali myself.

To put things into perspective, a pint of beer here costs about US$7-9.

I know you can buy beer cheaper on post, which is why I try to offer military and RKBA a discount on dives.

Contact me offline at matt@marscuba.com

Cheers,

WillHarm:
So... Im in the navy and will be stationed in Atsugi. So I need to know of any near by dive sites. Either shore or by kayak. It seems like most the good dive sites are north and south of Honshu. Please forgive me for if have have misspelled any cities in Japan. My wife and i are really looking forward to living there. We here there is good travel, and snowboarding to be done, but have not heard or read of any diving or kayaking there. Any info would be great.
thanks

Just found this one - try contacting dcpac on the board and I am sure he can hook you up with fellow navy divers, I think they have something called the bubble club. But as another post of his says it is not easy to take your tanks somewhere and dive. Or come and join us - dives usually organised by TJO for something beyond plopping!

There's meant to be loads of good back country stuff for snowboarding but it is best if you can get away mid week as the weekends get very busy on the slopes and roads to get there and home again. You can also try out Ski Guide Japan

ganbatte!

Mar Scuba:
Welcome to Japan.
To put things into perspective, a pint of beer here costs about US$7-9.

GULP! I wonder what a dive costs??? I plan to go there next year and dive with my friend from Tokyo. Looks like it will be shore diving for us.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
GULP! I wonder what a dive costs??? I plan to go there next year and dive with my friend from Tokyo. Looks like it will be shore diving for us.

Dr. Bill

Two boat dives with 10 or 12 liter steel tanks for around $125 minimum, lunch included. Drop a line to the zen divers board when it gets closer and you'll definitely be able to hook up with one of the operations - Mar Scuba or TJO are very high quality and English friendly (that's the language Jonathan, not the nation :)

Dr. Bill...
Looking forward to diving with you when you get here. I could show you some low lying kelp, but nothing like you are used to...

JAG

Will definitely let the Zen Divers know once we have a plan. She will be here in Dec/Jan, so it will be next year.

Dr. B.

Henryville:
Two boat dives with 10 or 12 liter steel tanks for around $125 minimum, lunch included. Drop a line to the zen divers board when it gets closer and you'll definitely be able to hook up with one of the operations - Mar Scuba or TJO are very high quality and English friendly (that's the language Jonathan, not the nation :)
GULP!! Dry throat! BIG LUMP!
Pardon the sticker shock! $125.00 for two dives?
I have been really upset that it's about $40.00 to $60.00 here in Korea.
I'm going to have to check around and see how spoiled I've been.
And I was just thinking, "Well, Japan's close."

Tom
Have to correct myself.
I just looked up Ralf Deutsch's "BigBlue33" on Cheju Island; it's not the cheapest and it's not the most expensive.

I just checked 100,000 won is $88.59; 80,000 is $70.87

Diving

2 tank boat dive.................................................... KRW 80.000
(incl. boat, guide, tank, weight, lunch, water)
3rd tank (boat dive) .............................................. KRW 30.000
2 tank islet dive..................................................... KRW 60.000
(incl. boat ride, guide, tank, weight, lunch, water)
3rd tank (islet dive)................................................ KRW 20.000
1 tank night dive (boat dive).................................... KRW 50.000
5 days/10 dives boat diving package ........................ KRW 360.000

Rental Gear

Full set of scuba gear / 1 day ................................ KRW 25.000
BC Scubapro Glide 500, regulator & octopus Scubapro,
dive computer Suunto, 6.5mm wetsuit, booties, fins, mask etc.

Diving Courses

Try Scuba Diving (1 day / 1 dive)............................ KRW 90.000
Scuba Diver (5 days / 7 dives)................................ KRW 420.000
Advanced Scuba Diver (3 days / 6 dives).................. KRW 280.000
Master Scuba Diver (8 days/ many dives).................. KRW 500.000
Scuba Rescue Diver (3 days)................................... KRW 280.000
All course rates are for a minimum of 2 divers

Charges for Assistant Instructor and Divemaster courses are available on request.

His website is http://www.bigblue33.co.kr/english/fr_introduction.htm

Nomaster:
GULP!! Dry throat! BIG LUMP!
Pardon the sticker shock! $125.00 for two dives?
I have been really upset that it's about $40.00 to $60.00 here in Korea.
I'm going to have to check around and see how spoiled I've been.
And I was just thinking, "Well, Japan's close."

Tom

So how is diving in Korea? Whereabot in Korea are there good divespots? I will be travelling Tokyo-Seoul at least once a month from now on and would really like to take the opportunity to dive in Korea....

R

Sting Ray:
So how is diving in Korea? Whereabot in Korea are there good divespots? I will be travelling Tokyo-Seoul at least once a month from now on and would really like to take the opportunity to dive in Korea....

R
I'm working that out myself. So far I've been diving twice here, both just outside SokCho, way up North on the East Sea.
There is good diving down off Cheju-do, but that's somewhat of a journey. So far, I've heard that the diving is bad on the West side of the Penninsula, mostly mud diving, but it seems to me that there must be some wrecks, I just haven't done my homework yet.
I'll see what I can find out and post it somewhere.
In the mean time, there's a site start up that has some information and people to talk to (a couple are members of this board):

http://scubainkorea.proboards2.com/index.cgi

How do the prices I posted above compare to Japan?

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom