Diving Near Oxford Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tom - You read right, but I edited my post and took that part out because it seemed "superfulous" (sometimes I get a bit "wordy" in my posts) So full story ... My pastor is friends of a couple pastors in Northern Alabama - he told them about a monologue I do at Christmas time for my church (Grace Baptist) on the life and times of "saint" Nicholas - I dress up as a third century bishop and tell his life story from his perspective, trying to explain the history of some of our "Santa Claus" traditions and attempt to set the record straight so to speak (I've been doing this several times each year on several islands for about 9 years now). Long story short, both of his friends have since contacted him and asked if I'd be willing to come and do this at their churches in December - I was thrilled to get the chance and will "probably" be at Trinity Baptist Church around December 8th (approx - as I have not gotten my tickets yet, but that should in the next couple of weeks or so) I can't remember the other Church at the moment (My cousin is a missionary from Trinity Baptist, and I've met Rev. Grinstead so it's easier to remember - lol) I'll probably be speaking at their School for the kids as well while I'm there and anything else they'd like me to do - So once I've got that schedule all "squared away" I'll know when diving will be possible ... or if I should just try to extend the trip a few days (priorities first...as much as I hate to do that :wink: )

And I'm looking forward to meeting you guys too! I've found SB members to be one great group of people, plus they are divers on top of everything else - nice combination if you ask me :D

Aloha, Tim

mike_s:
Sounds like you are going to get Baptised, southern Baptist style in that water!

(welcome to the Bible belt!)

That sounds "cool" (downright cold actually - lol) - I'm ok with Baptists actually :D My great grandfather was a Primitive Baptist Preacher (Georgia), my Father pastored a GARB (General association of regular Baptist) church (Washington), and I grew up in a Conservative Baptist church (Honolulu), and am currently a member of an Independent Baptist Church . . . and since technically Hawaii is the most southern state in the country wouldn't that make my current church a "southern independent baptist church". . . lol, is that close enough?

Aloha, Tim

Enough with the history lesson - I wanna go diving ... but none of my friends are awake at 3am

kidspot:
since technically Hawaii is the most southern state in the country wouldn't that make my current church a "southern independent baptist church". . . lol, is that close enough?

Hmm... I never thought of it that way. I guess you got us there!

Of course I don't know how that really applies in the thoughts of "true southernors" as they don't really consider Florida as part of the "True South" for example. Why? Well most "true Southernors" were "born and raised here in the south". Most people in Florida, migrated from "north of the Mason Dixon line". Of course all due respect must be given to the "true conchs", the floridians who were born there.

Now that Religion and Souther Heritage is out of the way, you must be briefed on the next most important subject in Alabama. College (SEC) football. Thou will be arriving during the prime of football season here and most likely the weekend "of" the SEC Championship adnt the weekend after the AL vs AU football game.

Now the Alabama vs. Auburn football game is one of the most important days in the state. It determines "bragging rights" for the entire next year. It's so important that they even close the Wal-Mart during this game.

Please note that upon crossing the state line, you will be forced to choose sides. On your drive on I-20 from the Atlanta Airport, as soon as you enter the state, there is a Interstate Rest Stop within a mile upon entering the state where you can file your paperwork for "intent" as either an Alabama or Auburn Fan for the week. There you can purchase a 1 week (7 day) non-resident bona-fide AL or AU football fan official license/permit. This must be displayed in the rear window of your car at all times while in the Great State of Alabama. Any other team parafanillia display in the rear window is considered optional, but must not cover any NASCAR stickers that are allowed to co-exist in the window.

Others things to know about visiting the South:
1.) All Tea is "iced tea" and is sweet by default.
2.) All soda drinks are "Cokes". Which type of Coke do you want?
3.) You better like bacon.
4.) If you hear one say "Hey, y'all, watch this!" , stay out of his way or run, fast.
5.) Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and fishing bait in the same store
6.) That white stuff on your biscuits is gravy. Just eat it. It's good.
7.) Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.
8.) What the State Trooper that pulls you over call you "boy", just say "yes sir".

Have a good trip on your first trip to the "deep south"

SuPrBuGmAn:
Nothing about grits? :)

... and War Eagle :wink:

Surely his host family from the church here will steer him the right way. Since he was from Hawaii, I wasn't that concerned about problems this would cause him.....

If he was coming from Pennsylvania or some other "northern agression" state, then I'd give him advice not to put sugar and milk in them because they were not "cream of wheat".

oh yes.... WAR EAGLE!!!!

LOL - actually I like grits, and prefer them plain... or with a little cheese on them :)

Hawaii is the south west point, in reality we are just "out in left field" in more ways that one :wink:

Lots of folks don't even thing we are part of the U.S. they say things like "when I get back to the states..." and we ask "when did you leave them?" Or when I used to travel on the mailand folks would ask what language we spoke and if we lived in a grass hut...

P.S. I almost hate to ask ... but who are the "war eagles?"

kidspot:
P.S. I almost hate to ask ... but who are the "war eagles?"

It's the "War Cry" of the Auburn Tigers and dates back to the Civil War and an Eagle from then. It's still in use today at every game as the fans yell it at every kick-off.

Auburn's mascot is the Tiger, but they also have a golden eagle as a mascot for their war cry. It flies often at the home games, as it did in the 1800's orignally.

Do a google search for Auburn War Eagle Cry or check out these URL's
http://www.auburntigers.com/traditions/page.cfm?doc_id=432
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~wareagle2/wareagle.htm
http://www.auburn.edu/tigercub/auburn_life/a_battle_cry.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom