Diving Near Oxford Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll be there, I am always there.

I might have an OW class starting this weekend (no money down so I don‘t thank they will show) but if I don’t I will looking for a buddy. If you come to BW just ask for Zach.

Cool Zach, I will ask Kyle which one he wants to go to on Sat. We will be around either Rockdivers or Bluewater all day. Since BW is closer to us, it will probably be BW. I'll post an update tommarrow as to what our exact plans are.

Matt

Thanks Matt - Seems like it's easier to get dive buddies in cold water country than it is here at home :wink:

I'll be sure to let you guys know as the time gets closer (I will probably only be able to get 1 full day free at the most, but we'll see... :D ) btw - I could not find Lake Martin on my maps, what city is it located near?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Thanks Matt - Seems like it's easier to get dive buddies in cold water country than it is here at home :wink:

I'll be sure to let you guys know as the time gets closer (I will probably only be able to get 1 full day free at the most, but we'll see... :D ) btw - I could not find Lake Martin on my maps, what city is it located near?

Aloha, Tim
Sounds good Tim. The gulf is definately a crap-shoot in the winter. I have tried to get on charters 4-5 times this winter and have yet to make it on one. I would stick to the springs/quarries. As for finding buddies in cold water country, never had a problem. I've been diving every week since november and have yet to miss a week end due to lack of a good buddy. Usually there are groups of us diving together down here, which is really great. It's always nice to see friendly familiar faces out at the dive sites. Looking forward to diving with you in the future Tim,

Matt

SuPrBuGmAn:
How far are you willing to drive? Lots of great freshwater springs in FL's panhandle. Charters out of Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL as well as FL's panhandle if you want some saltwater fun - lots of great wrecks and a few deep limestone reefs.

oops I missed that question... I will most likely rent a car for any day I go diving and may only be able to get 1 day free at most. So it will probably have to be within a 4-5 hour (1 way) drive from the Oxford area. I don't know the state or how long it takes to travel anywhere over there... I live on an island and after driving for a few hours here you are seeing the same sights all over again :wink:

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
btw - I could not find Lake Martin on my maps, what city is it located near?
Until the construction of the Grand Coulee, Lake Martin had the longest shoreline (over 700 miles) of any man-made lake.
Here's how to get there from Oxford...
For general info about the lake try www.lakemartin.com
S

Wow - thanks Sphyrna - guess this may also be my first fresh water dive too :wink: (yay - less lead...wait thicker suit... oh ...more lead :( LOL

Total Route 275 mi 5 hrs 46 mins

According to expedia, for a trip from Oxford, AL to Ponce DeLeon, FL. There are a few great springs here - Morrison(free, big cavern), Vortex($25, fake training caves, never tannic), Cypress(free, only accessible by boat, damned near always clear). Its a bit further than what you wanted, but they are some beautiful sites. I have pics, if you are interested :wink:

I think everything else has pretty much been mentioned.

According to my log, on the 12th of Dec '04, water temps were in the mid-60ºsF. Like Sphyrna stated, it can vary alot from that depending on weather during and before that point.

I know that sometimes my brain is addled these days but I could have sworn I saw that you are coming to Alabama to speak at a Baptist Church in Calhoun County. My father-in-law works for the neighboring Etowah County Baptist Executive Committee. My brother-in-law is pastor of nearby Pell City First Baptist. The whole danged bunch went to Jacksonville State.

When it comes close to time for you to be here just contact us and we will take care of you. The water may be cold but we will get you wet.

Lake Martin is in Tallapoosa County and the nearest town is Alexander City. We have an old bridge there that collapsed and the concrete roadbed is lieing on the bottom of the lake. There are lots of old bottles and wooden boats to see.

The quarries in Glencoe and Pelham are an easy drive but the one in Huntsville is quite a hike. Your best bet is to try and budget in a couple of days for us to carry you to the Florida Panhandle springs or to the Gulf of Mexico.

PM me if you need more information and I will send my regular e-mail address.

We are definitely looking forward to meeting you!

Tom Smedley:
I know that sometimes my brain is addled these days but I could have sworn I saw that you are coming to Alabama to speak at a Baptist Church in Calhoun County. My father-in-law works for the neighboring Etowah County Baptist Executive Committee. My brother-in-law is pastor of nearby Pell City First Baptist. The whole danged bunch went to Jacksonville State.

When it comes close to time for you to be here just contact us and we will take care of you. The water may be cold but we will get you wet.

Sounds like you are going to get Baptised, southern Baptist style in that water!

(welcome to the Bible belt!)

Lake Martin is in Tallapoosa County and the nearest town is Alexander City. We have an old bridge there that collapsed and the concrete roadbed is lieing on the bottom of the lake. There are lots of old bottles and wooden boats to see.

The quarries in Glencoe and Pelham are an easy drive but the one in Huntsville is quite a hike. Your best bet is to try and budget in a couple of days for us to carry you to the Florida Panhandle springs or to the Gulf of Mexico.

The Huntsville Quarry is about a 2.5hr drive from Oxford. So it's not that bad. Glencoe is the closest at about half-hour drive away. I'd guess that Bluewater is about 1-1.5hr drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom