Diving near New Orleans.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bookboarder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, so my husband and I moved here after being certified in California. We have driven twice to Destin for dive trips, but it gets pretty costly for us to rent a hotel and eat out, etc. We usually go for three days to make a little trip out of it. We're wondering what our best bets would be for us to get in some good diving in the area. We really want to get some experience in the water, and get to be better divers, but if we have to drive to Destin every time, it's going to be a long time before we really feel we're able to get enough quality dives in.

So, what are the best places to get diving in, that are not hours and hours from New Orleans, and wouldn't require making a 'trip' of it, for every single dive.

Your input would be invaluable.

Thanks!

Welcome to New Orleans. Although why you'd move here from the West Coast is a mystery....

Anyway, the closest diving I regularly do is Gulf Shores Al. About 3 hrs driving, but some really excellent shore diving (=cheap!). Hotels and condos in the off season (after school starts) can be well under $100/night. Now, it's more like $300/night.

Considering a rig trip requires more than 2 hours of driving and 2 hours of boating just to get to the nearest blue water, it's no wonder I prefer to dive gulf shores. We're just not a dive destination around here.

Anyway, keep checking back in this forum for upcoming trips (Vortoberfest, and the Crab Grab Part II come to mind). Gary's Gulf Divers in Orange Beach, Al (near Gulf Shores) regularly posts trips, and can accommodate new divers to tech.

Let me know if I can be of any further service.

Thank you! Those are some great tips! :)

We moved here because my dear hubby is originally from around here (actually down the bayou). I am not a big fan of the 'culture' in Southern California, so we made the decision to move. We're hoping to be living in Florida in a year or so, which will make me VERY happy.

I'll check into Gary's Gulf Divers, and look forward to seeing more on those trips coming up. :D

The rigs are absolutley incrediible. In the late summer we can have clear water in as cloce a 5 miles. We have several club members with boats and regularly dive the rigs. Our trips usually involve spearing but we do have club members who video and take pictures. If I can help in any way let me know. My wife also dives and is the secretary of the Aqua Aces.

Nichole, another option you have is to camp instead of staying at a hotel. I'm not sure about Destin, but another hour east and you'll be in Panama City. You can camp at St. Andrews State Park and dive the St. Andrews jetties. There's a dive shop right outside the park for fills.

I had the same problem in Arizona. Closest decent water is a 3 hour drive. We go on a regular basis, so camping was the key to not breaking the bank. We'll be living in N. Florida in less than a month, though. Water will only be a 10 minute drive!

There is camping in Gulf Shores as well. No need to drive all the way to PCB to camp :) LOL

There is always the Lake to dive! :D

shakespear:
Im not a big fan of rig diving. Didnt like the platform over me, the inconsiderate fishermen, or the rough seas.

I really enjoyed the rigs, just don't think it's the place for brand-new divers. The currents change depending on depth, it's a partial overhead environment, and the bottom is usually outside of sport diving limits.

Big fish, blue water, but LOOOOOOONG drive (even from the west bank) and long, slow boat trips are not really appealing to me. I'll do it again, though in a heartbeat (on a perfectly flat day).

There is always the Lake to dive!

True, with depths measured under 20', and visibility of "to your mask lens"!

I can second the brand new diver comment. The good rigs a a ways out and depths can be rather intimidating. But once you get out it is awe inspiring. Conditions are pretty good right now through tha fall. We have trip with Coral Reef in Slidell to Panama City next weekend (Aug 3-5)

My dive buddy has a boat now and we're planning on hitting the rigs. Which rigs/areas would be good to go to this time of year? (we're especially interested in any out of Fourchon).

Thanks,
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom