Diving near Louisville, KY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kberg

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
Going to be TDY at Fort Knox for a few months this summer, is there any good diving near the Louisville, KY area or should I leave the gear at home? Looking for something close enough to drive to, dive, and drive back in the same day.

Thanks,
Justin

There's Falling Rock (aka Joe's) Quarry in LaGrange, KY, just NE of Louisville, about an hour away. There is also Pennyroyal, that's about a 3hr drive in Hopkinsville, KY & Mermet Springs in SE IL, is about a 5hr drive.

Joe's is a rather shallow quarry (about 40ft max). Good for getting wet & practicing skills.

Pennyroyal & Mermet are both deep (aka cold at depth) quarries (they go to about 120ft), but also have shallow areas for those who don't want to go deep.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be bringing my gear. Probably will have to upgrade the puny 100g fleece though. Do those sites get pretty busy on the weekends?

I know this is more a question for the DIR forum, so I'll post it there too, but is there any sort of a GUE/UTD group in the area?

Yes, some of those quarries get quite cold at depth. I primarily dive Pennyroyal, but have dove Falling Rock & Mermet a few times. Pennyroyal is just clser to me. Below 60ft, it is 42 degrees year round so, depending on how cold you get, you could be looking at 400+ gm weight undergarments for a drysuit. As for how busy they get, it really depends on the weekend. I've seen just a few divers, then again I've seen Pennyroyal with over 100 divers. Sometimes all the classes seem to chose the same weekend.

As for a GUE shop, I know there is one in or around Louisville, but can't remember which one it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom