Diving near Gitmo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skimphish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Today my boss at NSA Panama City was contacted by the MWR director down in Gitmo. The Gitmo director somehow heard that I was certified to certify and re-certify lifeguards, cpr, aed, first aid, and water safety instructors and wanted to know if i could come to cuba and recertify all their lifeguards and WSI's. So looks like March 9 - 13 Ill be going to Gitmo. Ill get there on Tuesday, teach classes on Wedmesday and Thursday, and have all of Friday to do whatever, and then leave on Saturday. I was hoping to go diving on Friday but didnt know about the LDS there, where was reputable, etc. So what shops are near Gitmo and where are some good spots? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

disregard this question. there is a dive shop on gitmo, and it is the only one i will be allowed to use since we cannot leave the base.

Well I hope all goes well for you, diving off from Cuba should be great. There's not too much tourism although you will be close to the US. Please let us know if the diving is great or if it stinks.

well, im not going to cuba any more. they found a guy that had a current passport and are having him go instead of me. kinda bummed now :/

make some sorta threat towards the govt, I heard you get a free ticket there, even a comped room! :wink: JK

well, im not going to cuba any more. they found a guy that had a current passport and are having him go instead of me. kinda bummed now :/

Well that's too bad that your not going now........ I was there in '02 TDY for about a month on a Joint Federal Task Force and was able to get some diving in. It's a beautiful place to be underwater at. There are only a few places to go for shore dives now since the Camp Delta's been built. They don't let boats out of the bay...... Used to be able to go out around the shoreline and hit some reefs. But, there are great ones to see from shore dives as well. If you get another opportunity I would definitely fight for the seat there.

i forgot about this thread. lol. ended up getting the gig there, so i will be heading out in 2 weeks :D

ive been coordinating all the travel and stuff getting there, so i havent been on here much. i only have to teach one day that im there, so i have 2 days to do stuff. i figure one day ill go diving, and then if the diving is spectacular i might try to go the next day too. im pretty stoked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom