Diving my way from Phuket to Ko Lanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I've been through the various threads asking questions about diving South Andamans, but I was not able to acquire a focus on my specific needs (or should I say wants? I am trying to balance my vacation between partying and diving). I dived Similans last year on a LOB (missed Richelieu rock though) and now I want to dive the this side to improve my experience in varied diving conditions

I plan to land in Phuket on the 23rd (I loved the street party on Bangla street on Christmas eve and want to repeat along with New Years). So I want to exit Phuket on the 25th to be back on the 30th. However I am thinking rather than waste time traveling the normal ferry and overland, I could dive my way to Ko Lanta, stay there a few days and do the day trips to cover Hin Daeng/Muang, Sailrock and Phi Phi spots like Shark Point , and maybe King Cruiser wreck on the way and come back diving all the way to land Phuket on the 30th (or 1st half of the day 31st)? Maybe 2D/1N LOB going 2D/1N LOB coming back?

However I could not find any overnight LOBs that appear to match my planned itinerary. Could you more knowledgeable folks suggest me how I can achieve this or some alternatives? I need to book my reservations and flights over the weekend before its too late.

Thanks and Regards
Pearlman

Last edited:
I think the overland route is your only option, there isn't a LOB that matches your planned itinerary. It is possible (dependent on demand) to dive Hin Daeng/Muang from Phi Phi, so you could base yourself there and cover the dive sites. Or you can get to Koh Lanta after you've done a couple of morning dives from Phi Phi (16:30 ferry), that way you don't waste a day traveling.

An option is to take the ferry from Phuket Town, Rasada Pier to Lanta. The ferry leaves around 09.00 and arrives in Lanta around 13.00. The ferry ticket can be booked at most tour desks on Phuket. Book yourself into a guest house on Lanta and dive Hin Daeng/Hin Daeng and Koh Haa the following two days. Maybe add a trip to Phi Phi islands which normally include Hin Bida. That way, you'll cover a lot of dive sites, dive centers in Phuket don't go. The day after the last dive, return to Phuket with the ferry.

Koh Lanta is no party islands, allthough you'll find a few options. We normally go to Koala bar and restaurant on Long Beach. Pretty good mexican and cold beers.

An alternative is to drop Christmas in Patong and take the flight directly to Krabi and then to Lanta. You will still have time for New Year...

As I have an interest in one of the dive centers in Koh Lanta, I might be a bit biased as to who you should chose as dive operator.

Thanks Guys. I may have mistakenly relied on google maps and the travel distance indicated 6+ hours. This page indicates a very short ride Phuket To Koh Lipe

9:00am
9:45am​
Koh Lanta11:00am

Is this ferry schedule stil active or do we depend on the Rasada Pier one only currently? Why does it take a few more hours than the above?

So are you folks you suggesting an option to find a dive shop that will drop me off at Phi Phi after a days diving (Since no dive shops hit Lanta?), so I can make my way to Lanta. Anyone do that? Coz I believed the boats may leave Phuket to dive off Phi Phi but not approach the islands for a landing, so I thought that wasn't feasible originally.

Yeah I can live without partying and :cheerleader: a few nights - the hobby is worth it...:diver:

Thanks for nudging my search in the right direction.

-Pearlman

Last edited:
You can get picked up from the dive boat by longtail boat and taken to Phi Phi after your second dive but the longtail will charge you in the region of 1500bht for this and you will miss the 3rd dive of the day. it works out as a very expensive day for 2 dives. if you get the morning ferry from Phuket you will be able to do 2 afternoon dives from Phi Phi which will be considerably cheaper.

Hi Pearlman

I do the trip to Koh Lanta a couple of times a year and normally travels via Ao Nang, Railey Beach and then to Koh Lanta. The company is the Phi Phi Princess Ferry. That trip takes around 4 hours or less and I think the price is somewhere around 700 THB.

If you like to dive at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Koh Haa, you have much better options on Koh Lanta than Phi Phi islands. There are a few operators from Phi Phi islands going there, but on Lanta you'll have every dive center to chose from. Most dive centers on Koh Lanta using big dive boats (some using speedboats), which I personally prefer, while Phi Phi islands dive centers mostly using speedboats.

As "OnTheSpot" mentioned, it's possible to arrange pick-up with a long tail to get you to Phi Phi, but hardly worth it.

Sorry about the long absence. I hope to make a final decision this weekend and complete the bookings before the mid of next week.

@WhooYeah - thank you for the ferry details. That looks neat.

I am now thinking 2N at Ao Nang 2N at Ko Lanta and 2N at Phi Phi. Rather than anchor at just one spot.

What are the dives I can do best at each of these locations?

I checked the dive shops in your respective signatures and I see just 2 dives a day for most day trips. I really want to do 3 maybe 4 per day and land shore by 5pm. Maybe a night dive at each of these locations for the 4th...
I appreciate your time and assistance so far, just one last lap to go ... :acclaim:

--Pearlman

Hi Pearlman

I know our dive centers in Ao Nang and Koh Lanta do 3 dives a day. You'll find the link to our common website in my signature. The best dive sites are not easy to answer, but I'll try to give you an idea to what could be a good schedule:

Ao Nang: Go 1 day to King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point and Anemone Reef and then 1 day at the local islands - Koh See, Koh Haa, Koh Yawasam or Koh Talu.
Koh Lanta: No doubt - Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Koh Haa Yai
Phi Phi Islands: I would say Bida Nok, Bida Nai, Whale Shark Wall and Palong Bay. My knowledge about all the dive sites around Phi Phi islands are a bit limited.

3 dives a day and land shore at 5pm is not possible for Ao Nang and Koh Lanta. Both Phi Phi and Ao Nang dive centers offering night dives.

Have a great holiday

Just to be clear. I don't have any financial interest in the dive centers recommended

Unless you want to spend the nights at different locations, you can pretty much do most of the boat dive sites from Phuket. even the really cool Chimney dive at Koh Haa can be done from Phuket by speed boat.

Contact me if you need a dive buddy! Always up for it.

Back
Top Bottom