Diving Morehead City in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rob.mwpropane. Obviously temps will vary from year to year, but when I last dove in early Dec, water temps were 55 inshore and 65 offshore. I would expect temps be in the low 70s, but always best to just check with your captain. For inshore, there are two wrecks that most often visited, the Indra and the JJF tugs, both are about 70'. The Indra was a pretty neat dive, but it has really collapsed in recent years, to the point that some parts of the wreck aren't recognizable. As such, I prefer the tugs now. They are fairly small, but you can visit both on the same dive. I prefer the offshore wrecks because you usually (no guarantees) get better viz and much more likely to see the sand tigers. Sorry if this has been covered before, but the Sub, Aeolus, & Spar are all at 115'. You can hit a tad deeper than 120' on the Atlas and Papoose. If you looking for an offshore wreck that is a little shallower (to maximize your bottom time), then your best bet is the Caribsea. It's broken up, but lots of life and it sits at 90'.

Will check with the captain today. I'll pack thermals just in case. I believe we're shooting for an extended 3 tank dive day 1 offshore (because why not if it's good), and then a 2 tank day inshore day 2.

Will look into wrecks, thanks!!

@rob.mwpropane. I'm really jealous! I've gone out quite a bit with Olympus (good crew). I'd love to hear what you think of this boat. Enjoy!

I have heard GREAT things about Olympus. I guess this could go either way. The captain seems to really enjoy what she does, was very passionate about showing some pictures of their finds yesterday (they were hunting teeth) so I'm pretty excited.

I tend to like smaller boats / crowds. If I'm being honest I just don't like being around a ton of people on a large boat, tbh I don't think I like large crowds away from a boat either, lol.

Edit: I think it'll be great to have a say so in where we go and what we see (obviously with her recommendations of course).

tend to like smaller boats / crowds. If I'm being honest I just don't like being around a ton of people on a large boat, tbh I don't think I like large crowds away from a boat either, lol.

Yep, I get that 100%! Have fun!

Ok, we are heading down to dive with Cindy and the aggressor. Talked her yesterday, pretty open to take us anywhere. Very excited. Just waiting on confirmation that we're good and booked.

Does anyone know temp for this time of year? I only really have a drysuit and a 7mm wetsuit, I think I'm ok in a drysuit, but I don't want to be overkill either. I think I read somewhere it's 70f (ish)?
I dove with cindy last tuesday and used a 5 mil for a 40 minute dive at 60 ft. Very comfortable

I dove with cindy last tuesday and used a 5 mil for a 40 minute dive at 60 ft. Very comfortable

I only have a drysuit, but it's a 5mm neo. I'll just wear a wicking layer underneath. I think I'll be good. Can't wait, I'm stoked.

There are worse places to be than Morehead City. Nice little town, good restaurants, maritime museum in nearby Beaufort, Atlantic Beach is nearby.
Hello. Last I heard....the Maritime museum was closed. :(
Cheers.

Hello. Last I heard....the Maritime museum was closed. :(
Cheers.

Fingers crossed....I hope I'll be diving too much to find out:)

Fingers crossed....I hope I'll be diving too much to find out:)
I lived in Otway for a couple years. I really liked that museum. If a dive gets blown out....you can dive the pier across the street from that address. It's actually a pretty interesting dive.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom