Diving moored sites from shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thehotcorner

Registered
Reaction score
George Town, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
# of dives
100 - 199
Question, what would be the protocol, etiquette, safety concerns, laws, etc. if I wanted to swim out from shore to one of the moored dive sites normally visited by boat?

There are definitely some sites, one near where I live in particular, that aren't too far from shore.

So, is this something I just definitely shouldn't do? Or am not really even allowed to? And if I can and do decide to, anything in particular I should know?

You could do that (dive on your own) but then what about your dive flag, it is a requirement if shore diving.

Dive flag is crucial if you are going to be in an area where boats are pulling up to a mooring. Also lets the folks on the boat know that one set of bubbles are not theirs.

We do it all the time. It is our preferred way to dive GC. Take into account current, entry and exit strategy, "what if" scenarios, etc. Make sure you alert someone on shore as to the specifics of your dive. In addition to a flag, bring sausages, extra lights and a very clear plan. Which moored site are you referring to?

Absolutely no reason you can't or shouldn't. I will swim to the site on surface breathing through my snorkel and towing a flag. Once on site, just tie off your flag to the moor. Obviously this can be risky depending upon boat traffic, sea state, currents, etc... Plan accordingly and use common sense.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Which moored site are you referring to?

I don't remember the specific name of the site, but it was a shallow reef that I dove it the other week off a boat, near the south end of seven mile beach, little bit north of the BK. I could see my apt from the boat and was thinking, I could totally swim out here and there are def a decent amount of moorings that aren't really all that far.

Absolutely no reason you can't or shouldn't. I will swim to the site on surface breathing through my snorkel and towing a flag. Once on site, just tie off your flag to the moor. Obviously this can be risky depending upon boat traffic, sea state, currents, etc... Plan accordingly and use common sense.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, this is how I'd planned on doing it. Swim out on the surface towing a flag and tie it off to the mooring. Yes, I would also of course have a SMB/Reel and I wouldn't do it alone.

Anyone have any recommended sites to hit up from shore? Any places where the wall isn't too far out?

It depends on your definition of "not too far out". The main wall at Turtle Reef is exceptional and a very easy kick out. East End and North Side boast some wonderful dives which will require a 20 minute kick out and a careful study of the surf and tidal conditions. Babylon and Julia's Wall are very easily accessed by parking across from Rosebud Dr. This should only be attempted if there is no break and a mild current. We take the flag with us on these dives. After the kick out, we descend to 100', swim with the current and then cut in at one of the many fingers, following them back in towards shore. It's quite easy to hop over the fingers at sand level which helps us make it back close to our entry point with little or no effort. Dive safely and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom