Diving Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amybmak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a warm-water diver (Caribbean only) wanting to dive in Monterey on vacation in June, July, or August. How thick of a wetsuit do I need? Do I need a hood? What about gloves? What's the best way to see Monterey Bay in 4 dives? Shore diving or boat diving? Can anyone recommend a good boat or dive shop for guided dives?

Hood and gloves, definitely.

I mostly shore dive...two dives at the breakwater first, then two at Point Lobos would be a nice combination, IMHO.

I'll let someone else suggest wet suit and boat dive options.

Lobos requires a reservation---here's a link to their web site:

Diving | Point Lobos Foundation

Try to get a local to come along as a guide.

6-8mm hood with gloves being 3mm or 5mm. I would recommend 3mm so you still have your dexterity. If they are well fitting, your hands shouldn't get numb-cold unless you have poor circulation.

Booties should be 6mm or greater.
Wetsuits should be 7mm minimum. 2-piece suits are preferred as they keep you a bit warmer, but nothing beats a rain-proof jacket or boat coat to steam underneath during your surface interval.

Splitting up your weights between a weightbelt and integrated pockets are better, since you won't have to carry 20-30lbs all in one spot. But if you haven't trained with a weightbelt, it may be a bit more of a hassle to learn on the spot.

Shore diving is tougher on the entry if the conditions pick up, but the dive at the local Breakwater training sight is very easy, low navigation-lots-to-see dive.
Boat diving can rely heavily on navigation and generally is more stressful for someone in a new locale and type of diving. You will be changing out a lot of gear coming here for cold water diving, so I recommend shore diving with a guide. No chance to feel rushed and there's usually plenty of other divers at the local hot spot; many of whom would lend a helping hand if you fell down in the surf.

Another plus side to shore diving is you can often do a gradual ascent inches from the bottom until you surface. Boat diving you have to do a midwater ascent with only the anchor line as a reference (If you find it on your way back). Normally not too hard in the Caribbean, but our visibility here is 20ft and murky green/brown on average.

Your local dive shops are as follows (in order of which is closest to the Breakwater)
Aquarius II (Glenn's Aquarius)
Seven Seas
Bamboo Reef
Aquarius I

Between the first two, I recommend Seven Seas. They have 2 piece suits, they'll swap out sizes between the two pieces if that makes it fit you better. And they're generally a friendlier crowd than Aquarius II.
The two shops are at the beach edge.

Aquarius I has a real cute shop dog named Cody (Yellow Lab), but they're a good 5min drive from the closest dive site. Bamboo Reef is just up the block away from shore; I haven't been there yet though so can't say much.

Yep, you need a full exposure suit including gloves, hood and booties. 7mm wet suit is preferred. You will need a BCD suitable for cold water.

The breakwater, mentioned above, is a convenient dive spot with lots of divers. It's not great site seeing, but it is an easy dive and a great way to get acclimated. So,
Day 1, Dive 1 A dive at the breakwater.
Dive 2 The metridium fields (same parking location, different dive site)
Day 2 Dive 1 Butterfly house: One of the best shore dives best done early in the morning. features a kelp forest and a really nice boulder reef.
Dive 2 N. Monasterey: Great kelp forest, deep underwater wall dive.
Dive 3 S. Monasterey: Not as deep kelp and wall dive.
Day 3. Dive 1, 2, and 3 Point Lobos Just excellent diving.

fun option: Nite dive the Santa Cruz Municipal wharf. Easy, shallow dive that is really spooky and has lots and lots of octopi.

There are lots a great boat dives and I can reccomend the Escapade. See if you can visit Dali's wall, which is a really fun sandstone underwater formation.

Give a PM if you need a buddy to show you around.

Remember to blow bubbles.

<snip>

Dive 2 N. Monasterey: Great kelp forest, deep underwater wall dive.
Dive 3 S. Monasterey: Not as deep kelp and wall dive.

<snip>

Wow. Not many people recommend Monastery to divers new to cold water diving. Without really good conditions, this site can be very dangerous. It earned its nickname of Mortuary Beach.

Be very careful out here.

Butteryfly house has a treacherous entry as well. I wouldn't recommend any Carmel sites excluding Point Lobos to a new local diver.

Butteryfly house's trail entry now has a large 6in wide, and almost 1 ft deep trench where rainwater has gutted the path. The path slopes into the trench on either side as well; you have about a 6in placement on either side of the trench to place your foot. Very easy to get your ankle slipped into and twisted in there.
Carmel River North has a long swim to the drop point around a long natural rocky break. Very easy to navigate back into the rock break and get into the washing machine.
Monastery has a long 100yd stretch of sinky sand beach before you get into the plunging breakers.

All of this is very strenuous walking just to get to the water's edge. So wouldn't recommend any of this to someone wearing full cold water kit for their first cold water dive trip.

I recommend Keith at Bamboo Reef as a dive guide for Monterey. If you can afford it, renting a drysuit will make diving a lot more pleasant. At the least a 7mm wetsuit with hood, gloves and boots are a must.

. . . If you can afford it, renting a drysuit will make diving a lot more pleasant. . . . .

Not likely that a warm water only diver would be certified for drysuits and, thus, "qualified" to rent one.

Just KNOW that you'll be swathed head to toe in thick, confining neoprene and that you'll need a ton of lead and that you'll experience buoyancy shifts as you've never experienced before.

You'll see stuff that you can never see in warm, clear water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom