Diving "Modern" with "Vintage" Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Voit rig was $129 in 1957, I remember the price quite well because of the work I did to earn it.

pescador775:
Creed, I don't recall much about the Healthways reg. Did you rotate the main casting so as to allow direct injection into the inlet hose? Were the levers baffling the flow into the hose?
No. The levers mount directly onto the valve body by two small screws. The air is ejected at a 90 degree angle to the lengthwise axis of the levers. In the standard configuration, the air is ejected from both sides of the levers, and neither is pointed towards the hose. My experiment was to simply have a new set of holes drilled, which seated the levers at roughly a 90 degree angle lengthwise to the inhalation port. I noted a definite increase in available air simply from that. However, even then, there can be improvements. The air is still coming out of both sides of the lever, and is not being funneled directly into the port. So, I am currently working on a simple restrictor plate made out of a washer. It will completely cover the opposite side of the air flow, while channeling the resulting increased air flow from the port side directly into the port. According to Searat, Healthways used a similar modification in a later regulator, to great effect. So, I am confident that it will be even more of an improvement.

dherbman:
What's the point of all the *******ization? Doesn't the retrofitting kinda defeat the purpose?

Your title was, afterall, "Diving 'Modern' with 'Vintage' Reg".
However, in my opinion a vintage piece of gear in good shape should never be permanently altered or modified. These items are collector's items and will only become more rare as time marches on (and owners make such alterations). I always keep the original factory parts whenever I make a temporary change so that the regulator can be changed back to it's original configuration whenever I want. That is why I really like the idea of Luis' nozzle. No permanent changes need be made.
I always look at the old 1950's cars which were chopped, lowered, heavily modified and painted in flames with a bad taste in my mouth. But then I realize that many old, rusty, worthless pieces of trash which were destined for the scrap yard were given new life. The same feelings carry over to all antiquities which are "modified". But, then again, I am very nostalgic. Not everyone is. To each his own.

duckbill:
However, in my opinion a vintage piece of gear in good shape should never be permanently altered or modified.
I generally feel the same way. One of my other loves are air cooled VWs, and I hate seeing them cut up to make bajas or sandrails. I was quite leery about getting my Healthways modified. However, the price for manufacturing a new body to experiment on was just too high. And the mods I did make are "under the hood",not visible during use(except for the repainted labels), and in most cases not permanent. And I have a much better performing regulator for the trouble.

Back in the day, there was an opinion published in Skin Diver that in the future, double hose regulators would only be worth the value of scrap brass. Of course, in the 1970's, the internet and EBay were not imagined. That same year, 1975, I walked into the Best Company/Wash,DC. On the shelf were two Royal Aquamasters, $49.95 ea. It was a closeout sale. I bought them.

Some of my mods have worked, some not. One day, I decided the USD hoses were too fragile and decided to make up something stronger and better. I coupled two, super tough, fabric reinforced, and longer, Nemrod hoses to a home made brass mouthpiece. Inside the mouthpiece were original USD mushroom valves. The collars had been turned down on a lathe to fit inside the smaller diameter mouthpiece and were glued in place. The results did not fit expectations. The regulator was harder to breath. The venturi in the RAAM is not strong enough to overcome the added resistance of the Nemrod hoses. I still have that loop buried somewhere in my diving locker, along with some other projects which don't see the light of day.

I was a "pin boy" for several years. I worked on weekends and 4 hours each week night. The pay was 10 cents/line + tips. Over a period of time I saved $100 but mom made me put it in the bank "for college". It was a lot of money. I doubt my parents ever had $100 in the bank but I don't know for sure. I know they used to borrow money from me from time to time. We were considered middle class. Most boys my age collected bottles and mowed lawns for money. To have a dollar in one's pocket was a big deal. One could buy a round of Nehi's with that and then some. They were a nickle each. Sugar galore. When I "liberated" the 38 cf cylinders from the bomber I had the problem of making a harness, and finding a manifold and regulator. I tried to convert an aviation regulator from the airplane but it didn't come out just right and I didn't like the idea of tying the exhaust hose to the regulator body with a shoestring. Finally, got the money to buy a Seahorse regulator and manifold. The regulator was $27. I forget the price of the manifold. Made the harness and bands with Dad's help. My parents were pretty scared when I left for mules hole. I carried the tanks on my back and the rest of the stuff in a bag as I pedaled into the country. They were relieved when I returned alive. So far, I always have, sometimes a bit battered though. The worst was when I got the bends in 1999. If I had actually checked that Scubapro DCP instead of just looking at air pressure and depth I could have avoided a lot of drama. Getting older but not necessarily wiser.

Old thread but what happened to Peter and his Aqua Master, did Lynne drive over it with a truck.

Last edited:
Old thread but what happened to Peter and his Aqua Master, did Lynne drive over it with a truck.

I think it is in the Mariana Trench. :rofl3:

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom