Diving Maui in the winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive&Ski

Reaction score
We're planning our dive vacation for the first week of February next year. We want to go back to Maui, but I've heard that winter isn't the best time of year to dive there because of high seas, low viz, rain, etc. Is this correct?

it's also the best time to see and hear whales... Actually it's not so much because of high seas, low viz, rain etc. rather it's because there is an increased chance of high seas, low viz, rain, etc.. Sometimes we have bad days in summer as well, but they are probably 2x as likely during winter - still pretty good odds that you'll have great viz, calm seas, bright sunshine and incredible diving :)

Aloha, Tim

oops...

Plus, it will be much WARMER in Maui, than it is in Utah! :) We LOVE Maui, and we take our vacations there in the Feb/March timeframe, to get away from the cold and snow in Michigan. Maggi

I've been there in January, April, May, June, October in different years.

I have never had a bad trip in any of those months.
Vis a year ago in January wasn't noticeably worse than any other trip I'd been on, but the temps were cooler (duh!). I switched from a 3 mil shorty to a full 3 mil. Big deal!]

But the whale songs! You have got to see the whales and hear them underwater.
I think January is one of the best months to dive Maui, because of the whales. You're guaranteed to see some on the boat ride, and you're guaranteed to hear them underwater.

Kidspot: I'm going to be there in three weeks with my kids. I'm scheduled on BandB and Lahaina Divers for some trips, you wanna jump on the boats with us or maybe shore dive one day? I shore-dove with you at makena landing last January. I think we did around 90 minutes on one tank. :D

I've been on diving trips to Maui during the months of February, May, June, and August. While the water is (a bit) warmer in the summer months, I've always wear the same wet suit (a 5 mm full suit). (I get cold easily on second and third dives, and find the 5 mm suit to be better at keeping me warm throughout a series of dives.) Also, while the weather can be a bit more iffy in February, I've never really had any problems.

In any case, seeing the humpback whales from the dive boats and hearing (and sometimes feeling) their song while underwater is really special. Even though my February trips have been short (only four or five dive days each), they have been my favourite trips to Maui.

I do have to confess that I messed up this past year. I did not start making my arrangements in time, and thus was unable to get to Maui during my February break. I did get some diving in (in the Florida Keys) and did enjoy those dives, but I really missed hearing whale song.

I have learned my lesson, and am now starting to make my arrangements for a proper February dive trip to Maui (February 16-19, 2009 will be my dive days).

Peace,
Dave

I just got my certification on Maui in feb. It rained every day, so all I did is dive!!
We dove Cathedrals I and II (it's a must!), night dive of Black Rock, Molokini crater (inside) and few other destinations. We did most with Maui Dreams - great people, friendly and helped me a lot, since it was my first diving ever.
Just as mentioned here, water could be little warmer, so I do recommend hood and gloves.
When it rains, viz might be little tricky right at the shore, but our only shore dive was Black Rock. Whales are phenomenal!

Book it for February and don't worry about it. The weather is what it is. February usually provides me with lots of good diving. Whales are abundant that time of year too. Be sure to look for the Pacific Whale Foundations Whale Day Celebration during your trip! This past February, water temps were 77/78 at the surface, 75/76 U/W. Not too shabby!

...Kidspot: I'm going to be there in three weeks with my kids. I'm scheduled on BandB and Lahaina Divers for some trips, you wanna jump on the boats with us or maybe shore dive one day? I shore-dove with you at makena landing last January. I think we did around 90 minutes on one tank. :D

Sry - I'm gonna be on Oahu for the next 8 weeks ... but have a blast - both ops will treat you well I'm sure.

Aloha, Tim

The diving in the winter is fantastic.
We spent a week diving Maui last year in the winter (March) I think. The whale song underwater is awesome, sometimes you can feel your gear vibrate it is so loud. Truly unforgettable diving! Hope you take the trip to Maui, let us know how it all works out.

NH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom