Diving Maui Aug 2 through Aug 9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katamuki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife and I will be traveling to Maui from the 2nd to 9th of August and am looking for any advice on diving. We dont mind shore diving, long swims or working for a good dive. Is there any special seasonal dives right now?

We spent the last 2.5 week of June in Maui. We could only do one shore dive in the the south because of the summer swell. We did many shore dives in West Maui. We found the visibility less than in December, but still had great dives. If you don't mind working for your dives, Black Rock was great for night dives; we saw a friendly white tip, squid, lobster, tons of eels, and all the usual offenders. Mala Ramp is a great dive with fun structure, but be prepared for a difficult, rocky, long, shallow entry. (I even got a shot with FOUR turtles swimming together at Mala Ramp.) Honolua Bay (reserve) was one of the best too, but a bit of a walk with tanks and weights,,, but we would gladly do it again. The books tell you to enter at the old ramp, but I found it easier to the left where the rocks gave way to a little sand and gravel. IMHO, the best boat dives in the area are with Mike Severns, with twelve divers max (six per dive master), great service, and a very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable crew. We thought the best service and prices from a dive shop were with Artie from Pacific Divers in Lahaina (ten tank card for $30,,, and the tanks are full!). You can also get some easier entry decent shore dives in at Airport Beach Park and Kapalua Bay, both have showers for you and your gear too.

Oh Yes, take a flag. The powers that be do check.

Have you ever tried Scooter diving?? You might like that while you're here...

I do like scooter diving as a matter of fact! This is something that might be a lot of fun actually for all four of us. Do you have any recommendations as to the best day and time?

We spent the last 2.5 week of June in Maui. We could only do one shore dive in the the south because of the summer swell. We did many shore dives in West Maui. We found the visibility less than in December, but still had great dives. If you don't mind working for your dives, Black Rock was great for night dives; we saw a friendly white tip, squid, lobster, tons of eels, and all the usual offenders. Mala Ramp is a great dive with fun structure, but be prepared for a difficult, rocky, long, shallow entry. (I even got a shot with FOUR turtles swimming together at Mala Ramp.) Honolua Bay (reserve) was one of the best too, but a bit of a walk with tanks and weights,,, but we would gladly do it again. The books tell you to enter at the old ramp, but I found it easier to the left where the rocks gave way to a little sand and gravel. IMHO, the best boat dives in the area are with Mike Severns, with twelve divers max (six per dive master), great service, and a very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable crew. We thought the best service and prices from a dive shop were with Artie from Pacific Divers in Lahaina (ten tank card for $30,,, and the tanks are full!). You can also get some easier entry decent shore dives in at Airport Beach Park and Kapalua Bay, both have showers for you and your gear too.

Oh Yes, take a flag. The powers that be do check.

Lots of good ideas here and thanks for the flag reminder! I dont have a book for Maui shore diving but probably should look into getting one. The best dive idea would be a mix of a boat and shore diving. What book did you find to be best?

I used "Maui Revealed". I also found these links helpful on research:

As I have so few posts on this board, I am not allowed to list urls, but Scuba Shack dot com and Shore diving dot com are good resources. The later has MANY diver reviews.

Maui Dive Shop (tons of locations on the island) also has a free magazine in their shops that has a good list of sites with diagrams, directions, and short descriptions.

Back
Top Bottom