Diving Mask Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlassGuy808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Aloha from Oahu Hawaii!
I’m looking to purchase a new mask, I haven’t been diving in a couple of years and my mask looks funky. I know what company and what model I want to buy but......Is the clear silicone mask body better than say black silicone? I read somewhere that the clear let’s in more light but can be distracting to some people.
What are your thoughts and preferences on this?
Thank you in advance!
Alan

My first mask had a clear skirt. It leaked badly so it got replaced. Black skirt so much better, IMO. I didn't like the glare from a clear skirt. Just too much light! LOL

My first mask had a clear skirt. It leaked badly so it got replaced. Black skirt so much better, IMO. I didn't like the glare from a clear skirt. Just too much light! LOL
Thank you Marie! I value yours and all opinions, I have both the clear and black mask in my shopping cart at Amazon and am just waiting for a consensus though I am leaning towards the black.

Plus, the clear skirts seem to all turn yellow(ish) eventually from what I've seen of them. Could be wrong, but that's just what I've seen.

It's purely a personal preference. Neither is superior to the other. When I SCUBA dive, I prefer the clear silicone, as my buddy's light penetrates through the clear skirt of my mask. When I freedive, I prefer not to have the extra ambient light.

Choose a low volume mask that fits you correctly. Of course, it also has to be stylish and has to look good on you!!

It's purely a personal preference. Neither is superior to the other. When I SCUBA dive, I prefer the clear silicone, as my buddy's light penetrates through the clear skirt of my mask. When I freedive, I prefer not to have the extra ambient light.

Choose a low volume mask that fits you correctly. Of course, it also has to be stylish and has to look good on you!!

Fashion first!
Why a low volume mask? Is that the same as low profile?

Fashion first!
Why a low volume mask? Is that the same as low profile?

Low volume, low profile. At least to me they're the same. The closer the lens sits to your eyes, the greater field of vision you have. Also, you have less water to remove, when you purge/clear the mask.

Low volume, low profile. At least to me they're the same. The closer the lens sits to your eyes, the greater field of vision you have. Also, you have less water to remove, when you purge/clear the mask.
Thank you, I will keep that in mind.......so many options these days!

I always have preferred low volume black skirt masks. I'm all for online purchases but a mask is very fit dependent and I would only purchase one that I could try on. I normally use a spear fishing or free diver mask because they are very low profile. I currently have a IST mask that seals on my mustache and is completely comfortable. It also folds flat to be used as a backup mask and store in a BCD pocket.

Back
Top Bottom